Betta Fish Forum banner

do you breed your betta fish?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  LadyVictorian 
#1 ·
Can you tell me for what purpose do you breed your fish?

#2 · (Edited)
For shows, to improve form for shows and other breeders.

Also wild betta breeders breed to preserve the endangered species who are dwindling because their habitats and harvesting and breeding into domestic lines. Sort of like what zoo's do with conservation programs of endangered species.

#3 ·
Im creating hmpk from scratch. Ive got the 180 spread now Im working on sharpening up the tail edges . I do it coz its a fun project and in nz we go years before a shipment of bettas with the type you want arrive. The lastest shipment has finally brought some hmpk back to nz after 1.5 years. We probably wont see them again until a few more years

#4 ·
Working on a hmpk line too but I'm lucky, we get a direct supply from nice breeders in Thailand. Next year I'm planning to show once my line is refined enough. Are you working on marbles by chance? I hear NZ doesn't have much for betta's and you guys have a very small population, do you guys have shows yet?

#9 ·
Lucky! Thailand has some of the best hmpk. Are you guys able to import from countries like the Netherlands too?

Nah we dont have shows coz theres not really enough people into bettas in nz to make a show and everyone is scattered around the country. Although we have been talking about one day eventually setting up a show, would be good because it encourages people to breed for quality and type instead of just coz ones a boy and ones a girl, which is quite common here.

Im not focusing on colour at the moment but eventually I want to get copper dragons. What colours are you working with?

#5 ·
Right now I'm breeding to see what color combinations I can get. But also breeding to get show-quality fish.

#6 ·
I keep wild bettas because I like them, and I breed because my fish do it naturally. As long as conditions are right and the food is good, my pairs will sometimes spawn a couple of times a week.

Because some of the parents eat their fry or I can't catch them until they are bigger I usually only end up with enough to keep on myself. Not really doing it to make money as the market here is only small for wild bettas.

#7 ·
I do not breed now. But I plan to in the future for show, to create better pets, and...just because. I don't really have a grand reason, it'll just be for myself. I know it probably sounds selfish or stupid, but I just want to have something to work towards and then be able to look back and know I had a part in making something beautiful happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.