Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about adding a Betta...

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  coley 
#1 ·
To my 10g planted tank with 2 Platys, 2 Panda Corys and an Oto cat.

Does anybody see a problem with this set up? I did a little research and it seems to be a good community.

#2 ·
What gender are these platies? Add more cories. 4 would be the minimum I say. Add otos only if you have enough supply of algae.

#3 ·
Right now I only have 1 male Platy. I have to add another...another male. I would like to add more Corys , but it's only a 10 gallon. I picked up the tank as is (without the platy), the Pandas and Oto have been together about 6-8 months and the previous owner had a Betta with them.

I don't want to over stock.

#4 ·
A male platy will probably harass a betta to death if the betta doesn't instead decide with his poor eyesight that the platy is another betta and beat the suffering f*** out of it.

I kept three male platies together: The stronger harassed the two weaker to death. There can be only one (unless there are females too, but then you get fry.)

#6 ·
After doing a bunch more research, I learned that Bettas and Platies do pretty good together. It was probably 90% positive.... which I think is good odds.

So, I picked up a very pretty blue and red male Betta and added him to my tank on Saturday along with another Panda. Everyone is getting along rather well so far.

#8 ·
Good attitude. 8) That was a classy reply.

My male Platy is a weak male. He was the one being picked on in my 20g by the other males...that's why I moved him. I don't think he would attack anything. The Betta seems to be good natured and they are getting along. I will keep an eye on them because I realize as the Betta gets more comfortable things might change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.