Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #2931 
Fenghuang

My, my, Trapper really has grown into such a handsome boy. Love the paradisefish and sparklers are really striking too. And always, such beautiful tanks. :)
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #2932 
Aqua Aurora

Lovely photos.. surprised just how dark your wall color it (looks like deep royal blue). Also, DAMN YOU for having a fish names Stratus! I'm trying to come up with a name for my new dumbo betta.. wanted something sky/cloud-y.. already seen 2 or more "Nimbus"s. I was going to go with Stratus but don't want to be copying others.. grrr get to keep mulling over other name ideas...
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #2933 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
Photos are always enjoyable. Are they mirrored by chance? I noticed you said were showcasing the compartments from left to right, but I think it might be backwards.

Congrats on the new car.
Thanks! And I said I was going Right to Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
My, my, Trapper really has grown into such a handsome boy. Love the paradisefish and sparklers are really striking too. And always, such beautiful tanks. :)
Yes he has! I love the solid black that he is, he's like a real pitch black. It's hard to get photos of him because the camera doesn't want to read such a dark black lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
Lovely photos.. surprised just how dark your wall color it (looks like deep royal blue). Also, DAMN YOU for having a fish names Stratus! I'm trying to come up with a name for my new dumbo betta.. wanted something sky/cloud-y.. already seen 2 or more "Nimbus"s. I was going to go with Stratus but don't want to be copying others.. grrr get to keep mulling over other name ideas...
Thanks! Yeah, my room is sunny all day long so I can get away with nice dark colors. I have a light colored wood trim that off sets it and a white ceiling. So in the end it works!

Haha I'm sorry! What about Atmos like Atmosphere or Cirrius, or Meso (Mesosphere) or any of the other "spheres"?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #2934 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

More pictures because I had lots of time today while I was stuck in my room as John painted our stairwell lol. We're switching our living room/stair color from a green to a lovely creamy beige color and so I opted to be in my room with my fish and laptop earlier while he painted that.

So this time I focused on my Embers and tried to get the Gelius in there as well because they don't get nearly enough loving on here!

So I took out 7/8 of my water lettuce today, it was just blocking everything out! I had to throw it away unfortunately. I have two orders to fill after Thanksgiving week (this week for those not in the US) so I will certainly have enough for my usual box full of water lettuce lol. I also took out all the Pygmy Chain sword from the 4 gallon and planted them in the 29....all of THOSE were in the 4 gallon crammed together! lol!! I didn't realize I had so much

I really like this one random white Ramshorn I still have lol poor snails need more calcium though :-/

I'm in love with Stratus's iridescence that's coming in!

One of the smaller females

Male

So happy this came out Gelius Barbs picking at their new plants

Swimming through the dwarf water lettuce

During feeding time

Would have been a better picture if she had her whole body in the picture lol but it's still cool

Calico

Better but a little blurry

I love this picture even though you really can't see the entire fish, it's nice and close and very detailed. Look at the rays on the dorsal and how erect it is! Actually, they always keep their fins out, the Embers close theirs occasionally as they swim and such but the Gelius Barbs never do!

Gem decided to come out and show himself! He's been a little reclusive this past week or so. I do believe Dario did die since I haven't seen him in about two weeks and last I did see him, he looked old and rugged, not a happy fish. I still never found out the Badis lifespan :-/

Oldest female as of right now

Sparkler!

Almost all of my Embers are in this picture lol! So many fish!

And look how big my Staurgyne Repens are getting! I've had them since the beginning of September or end of August, I couldn't find exactly when I got them.

They're all twice as tall now. Here's the picture from when I first got them.

Jag

"I'm Fantabulous!"

Trap didn't feel much like posing nicely for me tonight

Pierce

Sparkler baby

Rai

and last but not least, Sam

Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #2935 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I also forgot that I went to PetCo last Friday just to kill some time and I saw this beautiful Black Capped Caique, unfortunately his price tag wasn't so nice at $1,299.99 but he was so personable and adorable! He was really interested in me and my cell, like genuinely interested! He posed for me too. Here he was when I first came over and he saw me:

And then he came over and my heart melted

I hated leaving him but I don't have the means to care for a bird like him! I do want to research him though so maybe one day!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #2936 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So I've decided to switch the aquascape on my 4 gallon and make it a grass tank! Microsword mats will go in the front/middle and then my Cyperus Helferi will be the back I already have tons of Helferi and I just bought three 1 inch mats of Microsword so those should fill in after a while. I also bought some mineralized topsoil that comes with a potash and something else mix for the bottom. i think I'll do a few grains of Laterite, a sprinkle of the potash mix and about .5-1 inch of soil and the golden sand will go on top of that. That should make a great mix for the rooted grass plants So I'll be taking out the driftwood and the little rock wall I have. I could put that in my 20 though, I'll move the Staurgyne Repens over there as well, probably in Jag or Trapper's section since they get decent light.

I can't find good examples of grass tanks but I found this picture and holy crap, I love petrified wood! This is amazing!

EDIT: kind of like this but not so wild and without the hardscape:

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 11-25-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #2937 
Aqua Aurora

Good news then, the grass foreground in the second photo is dwarf hair grass which is very tolerant to being cut to desired height (aka you don't have to have the wild look). Looks like downoi on the right on top of the rocks in the second photo.. never seen it so thick and tall before.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #2938 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh, no, I'm not using Dwarf Hairgrass, I already have it and it grows too slowly even with it's fully established. Microsword stays shorter and thicker, it also runs under the substrate whereas hairgrass has a terrible tendency to throw its runners ABOVE the substrate without CO2, I don't use CO2, just Excel. So what I was trying to say was that I want the micrograss up front like that hairgrass and then the back will be Cyperus Helferi. I can't find any examples of what I want so that grass one sort of works.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #2939 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So I found I think three of my Rabbit snails have died but I know one is alive for sure and I think the fifth one is too but I couldn't find it. I did however find a TEENY TINY BABY RABBIT SNAIL!! It was so cute! It's climbing the walls of the tank right now and it's definitely a Rabbit Snail not an MTS. The MTS are light tan whereas my Rabbits are brown, the baby is a beautiful brown smooth shell, not riveted and swirled like the MTS are. I'm pretty happy!

I also only have 13 Embers left (started with 16 but lost one like the first two weeks or so and then one more back in the summer and then my oldest girl passed last week) so I want to invest in some more, hopefully get more females since I only have three females out of the 13. Also interesting to note that the females are the dominant ones in these species, there is one very large female that is dominant of the whole group and then subdominant females. When one dominant female passes, the second grows a little more apparently to fill the role. The males just sort of hang out and breed when the females tell them it, it's really interesting to see that in Tetras. I'm not sure if all Tetras are like this or just Emberas. This the longest I've kept any Tetra species before so I don't have much experience elsewhere.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #2940 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

And because I'm obsessed with taking pictures, I took more pictures lol.

I went to one of my LFS's today to check out if they were having sales or not but alas, they are not. But I did however pick up some more cuttlefish bone to add some calcium to my 29 for my poor deprived snails. I also picked up seven more Ember Tetras to fill out a full 20 in my tank. They acclimated very well and are schooling with the old ones He was able to get me a few more females in the bunch of seven so I could have a better ratio lol.

I also picked up a Monster partially Mustard PK boy who's been there for over a month and a half. I couldn't help it. Actually, what I want to do is adopt him out on here for the purchase price. I paid 10 bucks for him and then the 6 dollar shipping will total at 16 for a near AquaBid worthy fish! Oh, 2 bucks extra for a heat pack too since it's cold and I don't want him to freeze! I'll put up an ad later when he's settled in a little and I make sure he is fully healthy.

My teeny little Paradisefish has gotten more confident! I'm so proud of him/her, it's also eating pellets very well too I'm excited!

I want it to be a he but I think it's a she

Of course, it was pooping lol

20 gallon long

I ended up switching Pierce and Jag so Jag wouldn't bite his tail anymore, so far so good.

You can see the new boy in the back!

Jag

Trapper

Sam and all his fabulousness lol!

And Rai

New boy!

29 is looking okay again

Stratus

Sparkler

Here's one of the new Tetra's, so dull in comparison to my old ones!