Betta Fish Forum banner

i've just bought some betta

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
hy. i've just bought 2 bettas yesterday, small ones, and they seem to get along just fine. but the problem is the people from the petshop couldn't tell me what they are ..boy or girll??? today, i bought another one, from an other petshop, and they toled me it's female, and it's larger then the other 2. now the new one, is chasing the other 2 arownd. my biggest problem is weather there is a way i can tell witch are males or females so i ca separate them, couse i don't want them killing each other.please help me!

#2 ·
Seperate them all until you know! Males have much longer fins females are usually smaller with short fins. Males are prettier. you cant keep a female and a male together or a male and a male. just separate them all.

#3 ·
Sounds like good advice from candlestick. If you are not sure of gender, its best to keep them separated. As they mature, the males of the ones we find in pet shops will get large fins and tails while the females won't. The ovipositor will only be present in any female but its not as obvious as the fin size but is very dependable. It is a small white dot just behind the wide spot in the betta's body and right next to the anal fin but fin size is pretty dependable with any you are likely to see.

#6 ·
Blaxicanlatino said:
it is possible to house females togerther in a tank...
Yeah but until andreeapsk knows what sex they are it would be best to seperate them just incase.

#7 ·
I am not sure, so don't quote me. :)

I can tell the females because they have a little white spot under them that looks almost like a bright tiny pearl (at least on my girl). The males don't. It might be that if they're too young they don't have it but I don't know. Some one else gave me that advice and it worked, so I'd try that. :) Don't forget to use your instincts. Females are almost always short-finned and either red or blue. (At least in the pet stores that I do to...) Males are almost always long-finned and bright bright colored. If you aren't sure, google some pictures. They should give you an idea. Just use your resources. But, as KOTCS said, separate them all until you know. Also, if your tank is 10 gallons or more, your females MAY be able to live in a sorority together, but the males MUST be alone. Occasionally a male can live in a community but not always. Casanova (my betta) is the only one I've ever met in real life that can. But they can never live with any other betta, male or female.

Sorry about the ton of info. :) I'm sure you knew most of it already, I just wanted to be sure.

Peace~
Alissa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.