Betta Fish Forum banner

Best Betta Pellets ???

7K views 77 replies 27 participants last post by  LebronTheBetta 
#1 ·
I have read soooo many posts about feeding our Betta-Buddies, I am getting confused. :-:)-?

I currently feed my guy TetraMin Plus (the one with shrimp) .... was a sample. He really loves this, but feeding him 'flakes' seems to make a mess in his tank.

I want to try pellets, but don't know what brand has the correct-good ingredients for him.

"Sparkle" loves to eat :lol: .... I feed him in the morning and in the evening. I put some flakes (why do they make them soooo big) in my hand and crush them up a little bit. Then I drop some into his tank and watch until he eats them...then drop some more and watch him....and on and on....until he either swims off to another area or starts spitting them out....he must be full at that point.

I have been turning off the filter while I feed him to keep flakes from moving away from him and ending up in the substrate or on his silk plants. This seems to work well.

Sorry...I am rambling....back to the betta pellets.......

I am not sure how the pellet portions compare to flake food. I figure if he 'chomps-down' the whole pellet(s) as I drop them in, his tank will stay cleaner....Is this correct? I don't think he lets the flakes fall to the bottom to save as a snack when I am not looking :lol:

Any suggestions/reviews/etc. is appreciated since my flake-sample is almost empty.

See less See more
#2 ·
Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta Formula, and Atison Betta Pro are Best. Don't get Hikari. They changed their Ingredients and now it's not good for Betta Fish. I'm getting New Life Spectrum Betta Formula for my Betta. Has good Ingredients and is the Only Good Brand I found on Ebay. Omega One is most common in Pet Stores I think.

#3 ·
I use Hikari new Betta Gold Baby. The micro pellets are perfect for betta's tiny mouths. Best of all it floats and does not cloud the water !!!!!! When I first got my betta Junior his color was a dull red and he was pretty active. But now his color is a vibrant red and he is very active. I think he needs meds to calm him down (Joking of course). I love to watch him jet around his tank. He's healthy, happy and getting plenty of exercise.

#7 ·
Fish meal, wheat flour, soybean meal, rice bran, gluten meal, starch, krill meal, wheat germ meal, brewers dried yeast, DHA oil, spirulina, dried seaweed meal, DL-methionine, garlic, astaxanthin, grape seed extract, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A oil, thiamine mononitrate, pyroxine hydrochloride, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, disodium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cobalt sulfate, calcium iodate, red 3 (artificial color).

I'm guessing that's the new product... On the flipside, it's the only thing he's not gotten digestive issues from. As far as I've experienced, Fizz is a bit special, diet-wise.

#11 ·
@ LebronTheBetta:

Shrimp meal, white fish meal, brewers' dried yeast, wheat flour, soybean meal, wheat-germ meal, carotene, protease, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A supplement, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, choline chloride, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), inositol, para-aminobenzoic acid, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, salt, ferrous chloride, copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate, aluminum sulfate, magnesium sulfate.

#12 ·
I feed omega one floating tropical fish pellets. They are high quality and have the best ingredients label I've seen yet.

Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Black Cod, Whole Heming, Seafood Mix(Including Krill, Shrimp and Octopus). Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-ascorbyl-2-poyphosphate (Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3, Ethoxyquin, Natural Mixed Tocopherals and Rosemary Extract (A preservative).

#14 ·
Ever heard of this brand of food before?

I'm using Ultracolor Community Fish Food.

I have the 5oz container. The ingreddients are top notch and no wheat gluten. They had a betta specific food, but only about 5 people bought it, so it was discontinued.

I forget who mentioned it in this forum, but wheat gluten is not a good ingredient, but I think all the fish food has gluten in it, except for this Ultracolor brand stuff.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll be adding this my bettas dinner menu a couple times a week.

Here's the ingredient list.

Quality Ingredients Make The Difference
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 56%, Crude Fat/Oil (min) 8.5%, Crude Fiber (max) 3%, Moisture (max) 10%

Ingredients:
Herring Meal, Kelp Meal, Squid Meal, Spiruliana, Garlic, Chlorella Algae, Yeast, Yeast Extract, Paprika Oleoresin, DL Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, L-Threonine, L-Tryptophan, Choline Chloride, Isoleucine, Marigold Extract, Betaine Anhydrous, LAscorbyl- 2-Polyphosphate (Source of Stabilized Vitamin C), Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols, Astaxanthin, Beta Carotene, Canthaxanthin, Inositol, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin), Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K3), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Selenium Yeast, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Bacillus Licheniformis, Bacillus Pumilus, Bacillus Coagulans, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae.

#16 ·
Well, Bettas need food specifically for them. If your food has wheat gluten, I don't suggest it. It's a cheap filler to boost protein from wheat extract.

#60 ·
I agree- I don't know as much about fish but I know that for human or dog or cat food, these ingredients are crap and not good for anyone:

Soy anything (genetically modified Monsanto crap, government subsidized junk and bad for hormones of people, I'm sure fish don't eat GMO soy in their normal environments either)

Wheat Gluten

Flour

I am no fish expert but when I see these 3 ingredients (oh, and Corn anything also) I don't buy it. Those 4 things are junk and not nutritious.

#17 ·
I use the Hakari, micro pellets, have been since I got Sammy, and they float, and I love that reason, the NLS sink, and Omega one are good, and I think they float, so It depends on that..Yes the ingredients are better, in NLS..but unless your fish is a chaser, you will be doing a lot of cleanup, and then you don't know if the food that does sink is beeing eaten later, and that is overfeeding..Sammy and Sapphire both Love the Hakari Gold, micro pellets, they are very tiny..and easy to feed:)

#21 ·
Misty... the only time I will feed flakes to a Betta is because there are other fish in the tank that NEED to eat. I noticed when you feed betta's flake food, they eat half of it and spit the rest out like cookie monster when he eats cookies. Best analogy I could think of. If you don't have any fish in the tank to clean up the mess, those flake bits will mess up your water BAD.

#28 ·
Yeah mine floats just fine too.... I did an experiment yesterday with a cup of dechlorinated water...I dropped a couple pellets in and waited. They floated, and floated, and floated. After about a minute I figured that's all the time you need for a pellet to float, so then I pushed down on them with my finger and THEN they sank. So they pretty much float like any pellet...

#29 ·
I am using betta bio gold and my betta love's them, i don't know if they are the best as this is my first betta fish and this is the only food that i have tried so far.Like others have said it floats and does not seem to cloud up his tank and he loves them .The package has a unique design so you have to pay atenttion when using it or you will drop in a whole mess of pellets in by accident as i did the first time and had hurry and get as much as i could out of his tank before he ate them all.

#30 ·
Yup..I tried to use that lil built in tube of sorts..and nothing came out then just angled it a lil to the side..and I couldnt stop it..but I did it in my hand in case that happpened..so now I take them all out and have them in a lil container..and feed with my fingers..or on my finger..so I can see exactly what they are consuming:)

#31 ·
I feed my little guy Aquoen betta pellets. It comes in an easy to open bottle, it helps to brighten their colors, it gives them vital nutrients, it supports their immune system, they're the perfect size for a bettas mouths and its all natural!! Phil loves them but make sure u soak them in water for a few minutes so they're easier to chew.

#32 ·
No offense, but aqueous isn't that great of a food. Whole fish meal (lower quality parts of fish) is 1 st ingredient, then comes to wheat, and fillers. That being said, it's definitely not the WORST food available.
I wouldn't reccomend soaking the pellets, soaking them removes some of the nutrients.

#33 ·
For curiosity's sake, what is so bad about the wheat filler in the Hikari? I've been feeding it and haven't noticed any issues, but if there is a problem with it, I'd be more than willing to switch. Can the wheat filler hurt your Betta? Is there something better to look for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.