Betta Fish Forum banner

Algae or something else?

697 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lalala145 
#1 ·
Out of nowhere, this white threads appeared on everything especially the plants or at least thats where I see them best. Reading up some sites say they're algae and some places say otherwise. I just wanted to know what it is and if I should do something about it.

I've currently been pulling some of it off with a tooth brush and completely turned off the lights, the betta is fine with out them right now with there being at least 20 hours worth of sunlight from the window.

See less See more
#2 ·
If its whitish or clear its possibly just a protein film build up which isn't really a big deal. I have it on my airline tubing. The most you can do is scrub it off but it may come back. I believe snails will eat it though, so that's an option.

#3 ·
I have it on everything thats the thing, I can feel it on the glass, it's kind of slimy but it it's also stringy, it like appeared in a matter days now it's gotten kind of long in some parts and my fish isn't so pleased, he attacks the floating pieces like it's food only to be disappointed. I might think of getting a snail soon then.

#5 · (Edited)
It doesn't really stink, yeah its mucus but not much. I think it grew so quickly cause I tried leaving the light on 24/7 when he was really stressed. it might be algae. I'll try that in his next cleaning, I'm pacing them out a little after I did like twice a day for almost 5 days when the ammonia spiked. I just want to know what it is cause everywhere tells me different

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.