Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am so frustrated right now.

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Yesterday I noticed that Raja had this weird lump on his side and FREAKED out. Then I notice it had a WORM in it. I keep telling myself that there wasn't much I could do, he died today. :cry: I'm not getting any more bettas ATM. Just frustrated and they are dropping like flies. RIP my beautiful boy...

I'm so sad to have lost such a beautiful boy. I'm down to 11 and it feels so empty, but oh well... I'll build up the numbers later.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry you lost him, he was beautiful. R.I.P Raja :cry:

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok question and i am not sorry for your loss, sorry i just feel you could have prevented it if you were more careful and do daily check up on them from now on.

1. do you use Aquarium salt for your Bettas?

2. do you feed your Betta's Live food or frozen foods?

3. how often did you change your Betta's water?

and lastly i hope you always check your Betta's ammonia/nitrite/nitrate level along with PH. i have a spare 10 gallon tank that stores water for aging for the next water change and do water change every 1 day after. i also use Turkey Baster for easier bottom tank cleaning gently without having to net my Betta's and put them in little Bowl. believe it or not aquarium salt is like a firewall that prevents all sorts of water bacterial diseases if not all of them. you lost 1 of your Betta and that was a wake up call, take the steps you need to make sure the survival for the rest of your Betta's, hope my suggestions helped. been there done that, i remember when i lost my first precious Betta, after that it changed me and i will never let my Betta's die without a fight with all the gross diseases out there. so don't ever give up on your little friend just cause they look deformed, only one that can help them recover from their state is only you, nobody else is going to come up to your Betta and help him recover, you are their only hope from the moment you bring them in to your house. if you give up, they will never stand a chance of surviving even if it is that little 00.01% chance. Aquarium salt, they are a magical property, consider using aquarium salt from now on if you didn't use it till now for your Betta's.

#8 · (Edited)
ok question and i am not sorry for your loss,

believe it or not aquarium salt is like a firewall that prevents all sorts of water bacterial diseases

Aquarium salt, they are a magical property, consider using aquarium salt from now on if you didn't use it till now for your Betta's.
I'm not going to point out and address the first sentence of your post, as we all know it was a rude thing to say.

I did want to point out, in case anyone was confused by your post, that aquarium salt, in this instance, would not have been the "magical cure" in this particular case. This was a parasite issue, not a "bacterial disease". I can only assume you missed the part of doggyhog post where she stated that there was a worm in the lump. Metronidazole would have been the medication to have been used here, not salt. Even had metro been used it may have been too late anyway. These things sometimes happen, despite the best care we can give.

Doggyhog, I am sorry you lost your betta. :-(

#5 ·
first off, OMG DH im sorry for your loss :-(
i hope your ok hun xxx

^^^ that was a lovely paragraph FBA, but this is Doggyhog, an absolute pro when it comes to bettas.

if something happens that fast it is IMPOSSIBLE to cure it. FACT. these are fish that are not like humans that can withstand major illnesses. so no, its not all about fighting for a betta and doing everything right but its a luck thing too.

@DH, if i were you id treat all my fish for internal parasites just in case.

#9 ·
I'm so sorry you lost him, he was beautiful.

#11 ·
Thanks guys.. I'm rigorously treating the rest for IP and EP for a while. NOT messing around with this.

I didn't mention in my OP that I did try to treat him with typical parasite meds. However, somethings just can't be cured and I didn't have much hope. I don't like to put a fish through treatment if I know they won't make it. If fact, I've euthed fish before.

Thank you all for the support. I'm always so hard on myself when I lose a fish. Whether it was my fault or not.

Raja had been a little "off" since I had him. But I figured he was just adjusting. He had a funny looking tumor like thing on his tail. Never affected him and there isn't a cure or treatment for tumors anyway.

#16 ·
I agree with the others, you should not judge other people by what they post. I understand you are trying to help out, but you shouldn't be a jerk about it.

When you said you don't care what anyone else thinks, you are missing the point of posting in the forum. If you really want to help out, make sure you understand the situation. DH knows a lot about bettas, and I'm sure you know stuff about betta fish as well, but if you're going to share info, don't act like you're the betta expert. We're all here to learn.

#19 ·
you are right and i agree not to judge others by what they post, now given you understand that sentence well, maybe you should consider the same approach when you read my post.

aside that thank you for understanding the obvious meaning of my approach. these days peoples don't need a lot to know the basic of caring Betta's. it's a matter of you wanting to learn and find out by browsing onlne about all the Betta facts from various sources. good day to you sir.

#21 ·
I missed this so I'M SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. So sorry ): You're the kick-butt queen of bettas around here DH, and we all know that this isn't something that you could've prevented. Something that struck so fast and... well, so disgustingly (x.x) couldn't really have been prevented, no matter how hard you tried. And you DID try, and then you tried again to help when you realized something was wrong. We all feel like we did something horribly, terribly wrong when one of ours die. It's natural. And it's something that most of the time wasn't our fault. This is one of those times.

Now, to FBA. Before you go around accusing DH of keeping her fish in tiny bowls, how about doing a little reconnaissance and maybe INVESTIGATING before you fling accusations around willy nilly. A simply investigation of DH's threads would bring up some videos she recently posted. Here you go, just for you (;

Napoleon, Rillian, and Gustav:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T59JWNH6sPI

Dumbo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQe3YMH7WWE&feature=channel

Clypso and Oliver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q0DWTAakw&feature=channel

The Girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd8-QZaSuZY&feature=channel

Wolfie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH79-mqhvys&feature=channel

There you go. NICE bowls, eh?
She keeps them in bowls and tanks complete with heaters, decorations, plants, and so on. In fact, any investigating at all would reveal that DH here is completely competent when it comes to her bettas, my bettas, his bettas, their bettas, and so on. She isn't a moderator here because she can tie her shoes (You CAN do that, right??? :pP). She's a mod because she knows her stuff and is kind in her posts to EVERYONE.

We're here for you, DH :p If it helps, all of US know that when it comes to betta keeping, you're the best of the best ^_^ Sorry about the loss, again, and hope things start looking up.

#22 ·
FBA; I do think you should just drop it. No offence, but you aren't helping the situation. Saying you are not sorry for someone's loss of a betta is really rude. That didn't help to make DH feel any better. It probably made her feel like you don't care. I don't know DH either, but i think that would hurt someone's feelings. I, and probably all of the older members have seen people wh are rude like that and it doesn't help at all. If you want to give her help, be nice, and try to give helpfull comments in a nice way. Maybe tell her what you think, and not be mean about it.

We're here for you, DH :p If it helps, all of US know that when it comes to betta keeping, you're the best of the best ^_^ Sorry about the loss, again, and hope things start looking up.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

#23 ·
jesus, this thread has my blood boiling!!!!
if this was my forum, you, FBA, would be banned....

ditto... your pretty much top on my list for advice seeking and your such a brill fish mom. grr how dare anyone doubt you, honestly...

#27 ·
jesus, this thread has my blood boiling!!!!
if this was my forum, you, FBA, would be banned....

ditto... your pretty much top on my list for advice seeking and your such a brill fish mom. grr how dare anyone doubt you, honestly...
Same, DH is like the Victoria Stilwell of Betta Keeping.

#29 ·
Really sorry for your loss, DH. He was a really beautiful fish! Don't listen to FBA and know it's not your fault.

#30 · (Edited)
:( I'm sorry Doggy Hog, that really sucks. You're definately doing well by your other fish, hopefully whatever Raja had didn't spread to others.

FBA, you are being a first class *$$. Really, you are an adult, surely when you were growing up, SOMEONE taught you manners, no? Like others have said, research before making assumptions. Having the God darn guts to march into this thread and openly accuse someone you don't know (At all) of caring for her bettas badly is just wrong. We're in a FISH forum, and as such it's alright to assume even an average member here would know how to properly care for fish. I honestly don't understand how you can even assume it's alright to come to this forum acting all high and mighty. I suggest you get over yourself before making too many more posts for fear of your membership here ending badly... (Oh, also, keep in mind you are on a forum that is child friendly and has lots of teens and younger. A good ammount of the posters here are going to be young-ish)

#31 ·
I'm very sorry for your loss, DH :( Don't worry about it. Things like that, as we all know, pop up unexpectedly. >.<

I know I'm echoing everyone, but, FBA, you don't know who you're talking about here. Doggyhog is an absolutely wonderful fish mom. She would have known if she could have prevented that or not, and in this case, she couldn't have. So drop it.

#35 · (Edited)
that's great and im so touched by how much you care for her emotional state rather than her Betta being dead, are we still talking about the dead Betta that was lost or Doggyhogs emotional state? cause i clearly don't recall giving her comments regarding her emotional state or stating she KILLED her Betta. just offered my 2 cents with my best knowledge on how to prevent further Betta losses if by any chance another one of her Betta gets effected by a similar parasites or other bacterias. try to focus on my impersonal statements.

not on some assumed negative factors that's only in your head. you are a kind person and care for Doggyhog but that has nothing to do with me suggesting her Aquarium Salt and also all my question that was unanswered which prevents me to further delve into finding the cause that might have killed the Betta. good day to you.

#36 ·
DH.. I'm so very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful fish. It sounds like something he must have had from before you ever got him. If you need someone to talk to send me a PM.

FBA... Do you in fact keep Betta splendens? If you do how long have you had them and how long have they lived? I've read many articles for and against the use of salt in Betta tanks over the long term and the general consensus of those articles is that for Betta splendens prolonged use of salt can be detrimental to the health of the fish. Of course I have not seen a scientific study done on this but then again all the links you posted were from random websites written up by god knows who. I will say that I respect Elizabeth Christopher and she was once a member of this board but her opinion is not gold. In fact her article was about the benefits of a salt bath and not long term salt usage.

I'm not sure what your intention in posting in this thread was. We have plenty of threads arguing for and against the use of salt in aquariums, those would have been a much more appropriate stage for your tirade instead of coming into a sympathy thread and insinuating that Doggyhog is somehow responsible for the death of her fish. The fish has only been with her for a short time (a month or two if I remember correctly?) it is entirely possible that the fish had parasites from the get go.

#37 ·
FBA, thank you for your concern. When I created this thread, I was not looking for someone to tell me that I messed up and to start taking better care of my fish. I was simply letting the people who I'm friends with on this forum know that one of my fish died. Now, I understand where your coming from as you were trying to help, but to me it came off as very rude.

I know that AQ salt is good for bettas for treating disease, but I don't believe in using it long term as it has been proven to cause internal damage if used to long periods of time. I do use it if anything starts to look off and I monitor my bettas very carefully as well as doing religious water changes. I do not think it is your place to judge me. I would ask that you please think about it a little more before you say anything like that to another member. I take it very hard when I lose a fish, as they are my one of my main hobbies and I have spent hundreds of dollars on them in the past years. I am extremely committed to my fish.

I have defiantly done my research on fish diseases. In this instance I knew there wasn't much I could do, but I tried treating him any way. No luck obviously. I have had lots of experience treating sick fish..

I understand that my OP didn't have much information in it. That is because I was NOT expecting this to happen. It was simply a memorial of one of my favorite fish. Not meant to start and argument on how I'm doing things wrong.
In no means am I perfect, I make/have made huge mistakes in my life, not only in fish keeping but in general. I have learned from them, and this one too.

Please be a little more sensitive when you are replying to a thread about someone's fish dying. To me it is a sensitive topic especially if it is my fish.

Have a nice night.

Doggyhog.

#39 ·
Doggyhog you still haven't answered any of my questions but given your links on Youtube, you are a Veteran level Betta keeper and you have my respect for treating your Betta's with such care but i do hope you cut out on stuffing your tanks too much with decorations, which hardly contributes to your Betta's. but anyways it's your Betta's so do with them as you see fit. good luck with your other 11 Betta's.Veteran?! Try professional! DH's betta keeping skills are (no offense to anyone! :p) far superior than either my own or probably yours. DH is on par with the great OFL, imo.

#40 ·
FBA,

Frankly you come off as a know-it-all who joins a forum and immediately starts making noise and attacking people (MODERATORS, no less- I don't know DH but I'm sure you don't get to be moderator by peeing in buckets) with hasty accusations of mistreating their fish. Then, to cover up the fact that you've obviously been an insensitive mass of hot air, you throw quotes and facts around trying to make yourself justified when really what people take issue with is your attitude. You also seem to develop some sense of righteous, superior fury when people get offended over your obviously inflammatory remarks.

I can't speak for the others, but I am infinitely inclined to listen to your advice and information. Unfortunately, a common condition of human communication is that the WAY you say something matters heavily more than what you are actually SAYING. You don't seem like a moron to me (just misguided)- surely you can appreciate that stating things in a kind and respectful manner will get you thousands of miles farther than going about being an overly defensive, pushy, condescending jerk.

I can give you research to back that claim up, if common sense doesn't go far enough for you. :)

Doggy- I'm so sorry about your fish. I'm sure you did everything in your power to save him.

#41 ·
Alright, I'm closing this thread because I had absolutely no intentions of an argument breaking out on the thread that I started to honor my betta that passed.

FBA, if you have any more issues, you can private message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.