Betta Fish Forum banner

My new fish and his near-death experience

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bettabetter 
#1 ·
So I got my first ever betta today, and the pet store i got him at was very cruel to him :-( i think he may have a little bit of fin rot... but anyway on the way home the bag he was in randomly burst!! He was flopping around and didn't have any water left in his bag! I had to put him in a plastic water bottle to live, and the water in it was pretty cold too :-? I got him home safe now, and put him in his bowl, but he is acting strangish and I'm scared he may die of stress due to the near death experience he had today :cry:. also anyone know any good places to buy good silk plants? the place i got my fish had none so my fish is desperate for a place to hide!
I hope some fish experts have some advice for me on what to do about the fin rot, and also the stress!

#2 ·
How horrible!I'm sure your little guy will be fine as long as you caare for him properly.When I was little we had a betta who jumped out of his bowl in the car and lived.As far as the fin rot I would look in betta fish deases and emergences it has never happened to one of my fish.It is important for your fish to hide.I get all my silk plants at petco or my LFS,if you still can't find any silk plants you could use a mug.I heard they can make nice caves for a betta.I hope your fish makes it.

#3 ·
Oh,and I forgot to mention,sometimes I turn off my fish tank light and leave my betta alone so he can just relax after a stressful event it might help with your betta's stress.

#4 ·
Try buying Stress coat, that should help. Petsmart and wal-mart have good selections of fake plants.

To be safe, next time you buy a fish, try to buy one in those small containers so the fish can have a safer trip.

#5 ·
thanks you very much for your suggestions, I bought some stress coat already and have used it :) he seems to be doing a little better. for the fish light thing, i only keep it on when I'm around anyway, so he has plenty of time to relax :)
about the plants though; i live in a small town and there is no pet shop here. i went and looked at wal-mart but my local one doesn't seem to have any plants, so i may need to either drive far out or order online.

#7 ·
If you want nice, natural silk plants I suggest Petco. You can order them online and they come in various sizes. Good luk with your little guy.

#8 ·
Thank you. i ordered some online and they should come soon :)
i moved my new fish to a bigger tank today though and he seems very stressed out by it. he keeps darting around wildly and he flared at me several times. i'm not sure of the new filter and/or the new heater may be hurting him. his fins seem a little more tattered then they already were when i got him and i'm afraid the water current of the filter may be to strong for him, so i plugged it out for now :-(

#9 ·
Good move ion unplugging the filter. Many of them are too strong.

You can modify them or put a filter baffle on them.

Do. Search in Foter baffle or look at the sticky thread in the Equipment section f this Forum.

Best wishes for many happy years with your betta!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.