Betta Fish Forum banner

More start-up questions

500 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  sainthogan 
#1 ·
I understand now that it may take 6 or more weeks to cycle a tank. I do not own a betta yet and we would like to get one male within two weeks, but is it bad to put him in an uncycled tank?

I know I want to go with at least a 5-10 gal tank. I would prefer rectangle. I like the look of the fluval spec 5 gal, but I am worried about him jumping out the opening at the top and the filter being too strong for a male betta.

I am getting overwhelmed by all the choices. Can you all reccomend your favorite 5-10 gal rectangle tanks and low flow, non-fin damaging filters? Any decent kits? If I have to buy it all seperatly to get the best tank, filter and heater I will.

I would also like to get a ADF and I have read the sticky on their care. Is it better to get a betta and an ADF at the same time or add an ADF later?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have found that the standard 10 gallon from Petco is great. No frills (and you have to buy a glass top separately) but then you get to pick your own stuff for it. And it's a heck of a bargain compared to Fluval tanks. Make sure you take advantage of Petco's $1/gallon sale.

I use this type of air-driven sponge filter, which is safe enough for shrimp and fry so there's no change of it harming an adult betta: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251069342494?var=550136858156&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

If you do a planted tank you don't have to worry about cycling. It'll happen on its own eventually and with enough plants in there, there will be no adverse affects for your fish.

#4 ·
I have found that the standard 10 gallon from Petco is great. No frills (and you have to buy a glass top separately) but then you get to pick your own stuff for it. And it's a heck of a bargain compared to Fluval tanks. Make sure you take advantage of Petco's $1/gallon sale.

I use this type of air-driven sponge filter, which is safe enough for shrimp and fry so there's no change of it harming an adult betta: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25106934249...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

If you do a planted tank you don't have to worry about cycling. It'll happen on its own eventually and with enough plants in there, there will be no adverse affects for your fish.
Thank you. Yes, I am planning to do a planted tank. I have been debating on going with a regular 10 gal, but I prefer led lights vs flourecent.

#3 ·
I also think it's better to get them at the same time with lots of hiding spots so there's not too many territorial issues. It also depends on the fish's personality as well.

#7 ·
Put the frog in first too, that may help.

#8 ·
If there are holes, you can always cover them with a breathable mesh, or do what I did and loosely tape cardboard over them. This way air can still get in, but the fish can't jump out. All holes should be covered, even if you it is too small for your fish to jump through. My girl jumped through a hole that was barely a half inch big, and was out of her tank for at least a half hour before I found her (she's ok, and 2 months later, she's completely healed), so don't risk leaving any hole uncovered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.