Betta Fish Forum banner

First breeding question/s

2K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  bettalover2033 
#1 ·
So I'm planning to start my first breeding project, My HM dragon Ribbon (Darkmoon17's spawn) is ready to spawn *she has a white dot right by her poop hole*

Question is, which among the 4 would be perfect?

the first picture is the Ribbon HM Dragon

2nd picture is Silver, he's the sibling of Ribbon, HM Dragon aswell, though He might be just a Super Delta, not really sure

3rd picture is Copper, an HM Red copper, got him at petco

4th is Posh, got him at petsmart

and Finally Bleu from petco

Which one would be perfect to breed with Ribbon? I know you all would prolly say the sibling but just wanted you guys opinion

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Lol first: The egg spot is always present and doesn't mean she's ready to breed. She'll be round with eggs and with breeding bars when she''s ready.

But i would use her brother, i love his colors and his fins. But his back looks off to me. But that's something you can fix later.

#7 ·
I've heard of 3.5 -4month old's being bred but mostly from thai breeders.
I've never had a dragon female so i don't know. Does she still fade and get stress stripes when stressed out? If so then i would assume her breeding bars would show.

Bettas that weren't stunted growth wise by poor water conditions or low quality food are in their breeding prime between 4 and 12 months of age, a decent 8 months of breeding.

Bleu was my second choice. You would get alot of multies though.

#8 ·
I actually introduced silver and ribbonyesterday and she was showing her stripes uptil now silver keeps making his nest and they just keep chasing each other, so hopefully by the end of today i,ll get a spawn, if not,i might try Bleu then, really oike that jumping gene going with a mix of dragon

#12 ·
What are you hoping to get out of this spawn? Form, color, finnage or for the experience?
I ask because your breeding pair should be picked with that in mind.
To avoid damage to the pair I usually leave the female in her glass vase 1 or 2 days until I really see signs of them being ready to breed (dancing, bars and bubblenest). In my last spawn, the female was ready immediately but the male wasn't. If I had let her out, he might've teared her apart.

Best of luck with your spawn... keep us updated!

#22 ·
Glad to hear they're doing well, any eggs make it to the nest yet?

#23 ·
Personally I would use the sib. Male because at least you will (somewhat) know which colors variations you will get. (More predictable than other males).

Also If you want to keep the HM and red in the fry I would breed the 3rd male from the first few photos. (Copper red) Or even the Last male in the 2nd set of photos.

Though if you want to experiment with colors and STILL keep the halfmoon in the fry, I would breed the last male from the first few photos.

It really depends on which colors and the tail type you would like. IMO I would breed for the Halfmoon and try to keep in the red color.

Though I don't care for the color as much as I do the tail type.'

I know you have already chosen, just wanted to add that in there... Great choice and cant wait to see some pictures!

#24 ·
I'll upload the pictures on a different thread so it'll be the official log for it

Glad to hear they're doing well, any eggs make it to the nest yet?
Yes! Alot of eggs did made up the nest, though i can't see any of em on the nest right now, hopefully they're there hidden somewhere in that jungle.

#25 ·
I'll upload the pictures on a different thread so it'll be the official log for it

Cant Wait! Give us the link...

#28 ·
Alot of eggs were put in the bubble nest, but when i woke up this morning, the bubble nest was soo small snd looks like he didnt look at them carefully and also his belly was big, it looks like he ate a whole lot of eggs, should i just take him out of the nest? Or leave him there till the eggs hatch, which should be aroun 3 hours for the first 24 hours

#29 ·
Go ahead and leave him in. If he's a first time dad then him eating the eggs doesn't shock me too much. Also they may not have been fertile, the male will eat unfertilized eggs to keep them from going bad.
If you take a flashlight and shine it up at the nest you can see the eggs, they're more solid looking then the bubbles.

If this was a bust you at least know they're compatibly and how to tell they're ready so you can recondition them and try again in a week or two(two would be better if they're tore up at all).

#31 ·
Whats an artificial hatchery?

Go ahead and leave him in. If he's a first time dad then him eating the eggs doesn't shock me too much. Also they may not have been fertile, the male will eat unfertilized eggs to keep them from going bad.
If you take a flashlight and shine it up at the nest you can see the eggs, they're more solid looking then the bubbles.

If this was a bust you at least know they're compatibly and how to tell they're ready so you can recondition them and try again in a week or two(two would be better if they're tore up at all).
They're not torn at all which actually shocked me, there were a couple of torn fins but actually all healed up right now

#32 · (Edited)
I'm wondering what would happen if I bred my royal blue crowntail male with a platinum/white with emerald streaks (on her fins) doubletail female. Would their offspring be double tail with crowntail characteristics? Or considering both doubletail and crowntail are recessive traits, would they have some other type of tails? I've seen some supposedly doubletail crowntail males, and they're really awesome looking...

#35 ·
Awesome, congrats on the fry. <3

@minda- You would have combtail deltas most likely. you might get a couple doubletails. A combtail has only slightly reduced webbing:
http://bettatalk.com/betta_finnage.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.