#1 ·
I have a sick Betta. I've researched a lot on the web. Alot of the diseases
I've read about have one or two of the symptoms Louie has but he doesn't have
the majority of them (enough to say 'that's it!). I don't know what this
could be. Please help!

I've had him for 8 mos with no problems.. very healthy and happy (with
young-like characteristics). Started this problem one week ago with lethargy,
sleepiness. Was too sleepy or sick or ?? to eat the first day; since then he
has been eating his entire meal (2-3 pellets twice a day) but not with enthusiasm
like before. He has bloating where his chest would be, not stomach. He has color
loss, but this is not completely unusual for him. His color is light gray and
is 'streaked' or marbled color going back toward his fins/tail.
Aside from occasionally allowing his body to float up sideways until he
corrects it, he stays horizontal, but doesn't swim much. He's really not
hiding much. I was late in changing his water by about five days before
he started this. As soon as I saw his condition starting, I changed the water.

He is in a 1 gal bowl.
No live plants but small plastic ones
Water temp is 79-80
Full water changes once a week; started partial changes this week (he perked up
a bit after the first) -Yesterday I changed 50% of water, scooping debris
No filters/water treatment
No tank buddies.
He is fed 2-3 pellts twice a day 5:00 am and 5:00 pm
No treatment as of yet

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!1

This is today and 4 mos ago

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like he could be constipated!! Do you normally feed him daphnia or maybe a bit of boiled frozen green pea as part of his weekly diet? Many people recommend feeding em 5 days a week, no food for 1 day, then feed some daphnia or green pea on the 7th day.
Do you think he has swim bladder disease?

#4 ·
sounds like swim bladder disease due to constipation I would try fasting him for a few days and see what happens. Once the compaction moves his swim bladder should not be pushed on as much and it will be able to deflate itself so he can swim normally.

#7 ·
Hmm....... one of my betta's bellies is lookin overly fat too..... He isn't floating/swimming funny yet. However, prevention @ the onset of signs of sickness is 'key' though! As the pea thing doesn't seem to be workin well for my lil guys, I'll be picking up some daphnia sometime soon!

#8 ·
Hold all food for at least 4 days and make 100% water changes daily for the next 5 days, feed very small amount on day 5 and the stay with every other day 50% water changes and feeding.
If no improvement in 5 day add Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with daily water changes for 5 more days along with fast..
Keep us posted of progress.....

#9 ·
My betta had similar symptoms......do the water changes daily.....make sure to use a water conditioner......i would start the aquarium salts now.....dilute the measured amount into a gallon jug with some conditioner......use the jug water for your changes.....follow all previous advice on eating.

Should see improvements ..... with mine within hours of adding the new water with the salts he perked right up

#10 ·
Got it

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. I will check on the daphina (I go to a family-owned pet store who should have it??).

About the constipation: I didn't think that was the problem because I thought the bloating had to be more in the middle of his body. Also, I do fast him and my other betta once weekly. Do you think I should bump it up to more often regularly after this??
I am just so HAPPY that you all think it's not fatal if I follow your suggestions. I was scared to death that I'd come home to him floating on his side... I've become so attached to him and his 'brother'.

I'll keep you posted.. Thanks so so so much!

Wendy

#12 ·
^___^ Bettas are hardy creatures~ your lil guy will be ok!

You should be able to find 'frozen daphnia' with the other frozen foods for fishies!

I've always found it fascinating that all of a betta's organs are within the first 1/3rd of its body.... o.0 Contrary to belief, their digestive tract ends right between the two long fins under his chin.. XD Yep. That's his belly!

#13 ·
4 days and I'm back.. Coming home after a 16 hour day, I find Louie had a very small poop; it's not much but it is some progress. Now, we have another problem. A bigger one. He has popeye. There is no question about this one - I've seen enough pictures of it.. I'm attaching one of him.

I've read different articles regarding this. Some say, clean water and it will go away; others say treat with antibiotics, etc. His water is very clean; He had a partial (75%) WC and yesterday, since he was not doing poor(er), I did a full water change. I also removed everything from his bowl. I have not fed him since Tuesday.. The bloating is still there.

Please, if someone has had experience with this, please help me! One guy talked of his betta having popeye so he would probably put him the freezer for a humane way of ethuanisia.. I don't even want to go there!

Thanks again for all of your advice and shoulders!

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Pop eye is usually caused by an environmental problem or bacterial problem...

Environmental problem would be a build up of gases in the water normally nitrogen but not always. I would clean the water frequently and this should help the problem...if that does not work it could be bacterial. In that case I would search out a medication that treats pop eye...most times simply improving your water quality can get rid of the problem because most times it is not bacterial.

remember perhaps the pop eye could also be a symptom of a more severe problem, it is often seen with swollen abdomens as a sign of dropsy in which case it may or may not go away.

NEVER freeze your fish in the freezer for euthanization it is inhumane the blood crystalizes before it actually dies, imagine how painful that would be. I would not think of pop eye as something to euthanize a fish over it is normally quite treatable.

More humane euthanization would be to use a lethal dose of clove oil it is an approved method for anesthetizing fish. It has a similar effect as when vets put a cat or dog to sleep. But you should know how to properly euthanize something before you try imagine doing such a thing if you did it incorrectly, that isn't fair to the fish. I have experience with it through my studies but I would not recommend an inexperienced person to do so without proper research and instruction.

Hopefully his pop eye gets better :-D

#15 ·
Is it bad that my sick betta is holding on?

Thanks Jamie. I makes me shudder to think of doing anything like to that to him. Every now and then he looks as if he is getting better, only to go back downhill the next day. He regained a good bit of color day before last; only to lose it the next day.
I fasted him for six days and he was getting skinny.. stomach still had a slight bulge, but he looked like he was wasting away. (Realistically I know that healthy Bettas can last longer than that, but...) He still hadn't pooped by that time, but I went ahead and fed him - one pellet.. the next day one a.m. and one p.m. I don't want to over feed at this point but I don't want him weak on top of everything else. Five days ago I started him on Maracyn 1, mainly for the popeye; his eyes have 'gone down' a little but not much. He's almost given up on swimming straight and floats on his side. He doesn't have pine coning (sp?) so I don't think it's dropsy.
But he's hanging in there.. Do you think that is a good thing??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.