Betta Fish Forum banner

Why is my fish so dark?

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Ayane Hajinmon 
#1 ·
ok so...i saw a lot of people here have beautiful and colorful fish but mine...as you can see on my avatar picture..Alpha is somewhat bright and have color when i first got him....but now(two months later) he's just dark and darker...he's like a shadow now...did i do something wrong? how do i get his color to shine again? i change is water 100% a week...have heater,lights, decorations,place to hide and all that...feed him 5 omega buffet pellets a day, fast him once a week etc.

any idea? is this normal?

#2 ·
Almost all bettas change colour during their lives. It can be in response to environmental stressors, age, or illness. Usually, a light betta is stressed and a darker betta is more chilled (this isn't true for bettas that are naturally light, such as white or cambodian bettas). When I first got my girl Athena (RIP), she was pale brown with a lavender tail. When I got her into my 5 gallon tank with a heater and filter, she went a stunning royal blue with a black head and red streaks in her fins and tail.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of your boy? Also, can you list your tank stats (size, temperature, tankmates, water parameters etc)? Has his behaviour changed in any way? I'm betting it's just because he is happy in his home with you, but pictures and the extra information will confirm that. :)

#3 ·
Bombalurina is correct.. normally they darken as they age, and when they are healthy and comfortable.

Just like hers, my girl was a lavender/pink with a touch of blue in some lights.. now she is a dark royal blue and pink. She's even darker then the last picture.

Attachments

#8 ·
It looks like there is no light shining in him at all, I've noticed that my fish look totally different colors in bright light

#12 ·
Besides the light over his tank, try shining some light in from the side.

I don't know how many watts you're using or what the color temperature is (that's measured in Kelvins; you might look it up). But 10 watts at 6500 K over a 2.5g tank ought to brighten things up.

BTW, if you look at lots of pictures of members' fish, it seems like dark-toned Betta are becoming more popular these days.

#14 ·
The lighting will make a difference too.. they will change colors and lighten/darken on their own, but didn't think about the lighting until it was mentioned then went back to some of my pictures.

I have an old old one of Xander when he was in his original tank with nothing but one of those LED lights- that can change color, and he is dark in there.
Him with a flashlight on him during a water change and to check his health.
Then him in his first upgrade under a regular light bulb at 40 watts.
Don't even get me started on my DDCT and CTs color difference in certain lights lol

So lighting can make a difference in fish.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.