Betta Fish Forum banner

air pump?

681 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  ZergyMonster 
#1 ·
hello i just got a betta the other day was just wondering if i should use the air pump or not

#2 ·
your air pump will probably just annoy the betta. they dont really like current in their water. i used to have a biorb [dont get one] and my fish tolerated it.

make sure you have a heater with a thermostat to go with that tank.
if you decide to get a filter, get one that has an adjustable current.

#3 · (Edited)
he seems to tolerate it it bothers him a little but will it help him in the long run i had some goldfish and they really needed it because they where swiming at the top searching for air and is 70 degree water in the winter i know its not right but is it ok cuz i know they need 72 or more i really cant get a bigger tank or anything now he seems to be doing fine and in the summer i know it should warm up a little pls let me know

#7 ·
well try to get your fish a bigger tank in the future. you can really do it on the cheap by buying everything you need separate.

you can get a 5gal aquarium kit on amazon for 39 USD, i'm sure local pet stores have their sales that you can check out as well.

your fish will enjoy having a larger tank and it's fun to decorate and they dont always take up a lot of room.

#10 · (Edited)
well my space heater hasnt been on and now its been on for awhile and the water is now 72 so i guess the water temperture will be ok and the pump i might take out because dont they make bubble nests lol i dont know if you know he will make a bubble nest and what that is please let me know and thanks for the help i feel better now about my fish knowing his water temperture is ok and not to cold one more thing its ok if he dosent have babys right for him to live his hole life buy himself or maybe get another small fish he could live with just something i was wondering to thanks

#11 ·
Male Bettas are extremely territorial and will kill any other betta in his spot. There are some fish that female bettas can get along with but that requires a 10 gallon tank minimum.

If you were to continue using a small bowl/vase for a container just be sure to keep up on water changes to prevent him from dieing from ammonia spikes and try to keep the water temperature consistent (it doesn't always have to be 76-80 degrees but a temp that will not drop more than 4-6 degrees over a short period.) That is why it is important to get a heater.

As for a bubble nest, male bettas build bubble nests to mark their territory and show that they are a healthy companion to mate with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.