Betta Fish Forum banner

Spots over eyes

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Sizzlingtree 
#1 ·
Hello,

My husband and I just got our Betta last Thursday and he has been swimming around and eating just fine. The only thing is that I have noticed that he has a white spot (or what looks like a white spot) on each of his eyes. These were not there yesterday.

When I first looked at our Betta, Tika, this morning his left eye seemed to have a particularly white spot over it. As the day has worn on the white seems to have reduced. The other eye seems to have a whitish patch on it now.

What is happening? What can we do to help Tika? Any help/advice/reassurance would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I posted the same question about two weeks ago with no responses from the forum.

It looks like a perfect dot of white paint over each eye and not cloudy eyes - right?

I researched the heck out it online and couldn't come up with anything except to do water changes daily until it went away. That's what I did and it was gone within a few days. Good luck.

#3 ·
For Romad

Romad,

Thank you for your response. You are right, it does look like a dot of white paint on the eyes and not cloudy eyes. As the day has gone by the dot has reduced to being cloudy and not paint white. I will do a water change and see how that helps.

Did you happen to try any Aquarium salt? From what I have been reading that seems to be the cure all for just about anything.

Did you do full water changes or partial? I just did a partial water change last night and we have done two full water changes since we brought Tika home. I wonder if it is a case of being too clean?

#4 ·
Mine was a 2.5 gallon cycled tank so I have no idea why it happened in the first place. Yes, I did add some AQ salt to the water with each change.

I started out doing two 30-40% water changes back to back. I moved out of state since then so had no choice but to do 95% water change at that point (left just enough water in the tank to keep the filter medium moist). The spots are completely gone.

Just remember when adding AQ salt that it does not dissipate so only add as much as recommended for the amount you are replacing and not total tank amount of water. Normally, I change at least 40% of the water in all of my betta tanks each week but only add a little AQ salt once a month.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Melafix

Romad,

Thank you for your response.

I went to the Petsmart from which we bought Tika today and talked to an associate there. She recommended that I try an antibacterial fish remedy called Melafix which specifically mentions cloudy eye on the back.

I will use this and see how it does. If I see improvement I will definitely let you know.

The associate told me that 'change in environment, stress' can lead to cloudy eye. Since we just brought Tika home that is definitely a change in environment. Apparently there is a 14 day return policy but I don't want to return Tika. So I'm hoping that the Melafix really helps, along with water changes.

I will keep you posted!

#8 ·
Melafix and water changes worked!

Ok, I am back to report on the status of my Betta, Tika.

A few days after we brought him home from the store he developed a white spot on his left eye which eventually became cloudy.

The Petsmart associate I spoke with recommended Melafix and Romad, a member of this site recommended water changes. I did both.

I changed about 20-25% of Tika's water daily and immediately added the water conditioner as well as the Melafix (about 1 ml). I did this for four days and today I see that both of Tika's eyes are clear.

Since Romad mentioned that s/he had put out the same question and no one had answered, I thought it might help others having the same problem to know that Melafix and water changes really helped with Tika.

Also, I'm sure that noticing and treating the condition immediately helps. Prevention is the best though and we just brought home a female betta today to add to a community tank that we will be setting up. We will be adding the Melafix to the tank (it says to dose the water for 3 days with new fish) before we even put her in to make sure that she does not develop cloud eye/pop eye or other such conditions.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.