Betta Fish Forum banner

What Jars Do you Put Fry In?

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Busted 
#1 ·
So I am researching Betta Breeding,for hope of one day breeding bettas could yyou please give me a link with the appropriate jar that I would use for fry??

#2 ·
Google "Beanie Baby Boxes"...I'll be getting some soon. For now I use gallon pickle jars and quart mason jars.

#4 ·
Depends on how many spawns you have. Get at least 100 for a start.

#9 ·
I collect used 2 ltr square plastic drink bottles (from mineral water or what ever - about 10cm x 10cm x height) which I then cut in half. When fry need to be bottled, they temporarily go in them. It's very cheap - better than spending $300. Since you're not planning on breeding anytime soon, you can start collecting them.
I must warn you though, doing daily wc on these is time consuming specially when you have a large spawn.

#16 ·
I don't usually use lids but if I had to, I would either use the top half of the bottle or plain carton from cereal boxes or what ever.

I don't usually bottle them all at once. I keep them together as long as I can. So it's possible for me to float the bottle in the tank and see if it is a potential jumper. Or you could cut the bottle rather tall and fill half way to avoid jumping.

#13 ·
I really like Mason jars.....it's more traditional :p I don't like gallon pickle jars because it's difficult to get a good grip during water changes so I use the Masons...just clean 100% everyday.

#18 ·
http://www.superiorshippingsupplies.com/ sells several things breeders could use for shipping, heat packs, insulated containers, bags, etc...

I was thinking about using disposable cups with the bubble dome type lids, 32oz minimum is what id like to keep it, but I'm still looking around for solutions before I attempt to breed.

#19 ·
@Busted...thank you so much for that link!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.