Betta Fish Forum banner

Does this look like bloat

345 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Blue Fish 
#1 ·
Here is my baby Orange. On Saturday I noticed he was huge. I did not see him like this on Friday night. I immediately changed his water (full tank change). Added 2tsp of Epsom salt per gallon (5 gallon tank) and put in a new filter. I fed him Daphne Saturday night, Sunday morning, Sunday night. He didn't eat much of it. Today is his fast day. He doesn't look like he's improved at all. His scales are also flexed out?? Help!!??

Tank 5 gallon
Temp 79F

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Additional info:
Tank 5 gallon
Temp 79F
Filter - yes
Air stone - no
heated - yes
No tank mates
Food: either Omega one pellets or Omega one Betta Buffet flakes
Well water and add Aqua Safe Plus
Initially I did 100% water changes every two weeks. Then I extended 100% changes to every three weeks. This past change (Saturdays) was the first at time at four weeks. Think this was too long even though the water tests seemed ok.

#3 ·
Yes, unfortunately this looks like bloat. :( It's a bacterial disease that causes their internal organs to retain water, and eventually will cause organ damage and death. :( There is no cure. It really doesn't have anything to do with feeding.

If you want to try and treat it, you'll need kanaplex, because that's about the strongest thing avail to treat bacterial infections. Other than that, make him comfortable by putting in doses of Epsom salts (just to take down what you can of the swelling), and feed him normally/normal water changes. :( Some people recommend aquarium salt...but the Epsom salts seem to be a little gentler on their systems, and can be used more easily for longer-term. There was a great post by Sakura8 on the uses for Epsom and AQ salt. The Epsom salt can't be used regularly forever, but in this case, it's just to make them comfortable anyway, so you don't have to worry about that.

I had a guy get this, I treated with Epsom salt and kanaplex, he stabilized with those meds, but the disease still killed him a month or so later. Once they show symptoms, their organs have been irreparably damaged, and nothing you can do about it at that point. Toulouse seemed to become more comfortable after the meds and salt, so I didn't euthanize him, but he did die.

I'm so sorry though! It's hard when stuff like this happens. :( Poor little guy. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.