Betta Fish Forum banner

fin disease unknown

970 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tyonekura 
#1 ·
Doesn't sound like ich. I'd stop trating for that.

Sounds like one of 2 things to me. Either finrot or an injury that has developed fungus. Is the fin ripped or frayed? Or does it look to have been nipped away?

#2 ·
I have had my betta for about two years. It developed a fin problem. he accquired an off-white colored growth on the top of his fin. I treated it with ick stuff, now where he had the grouth his fit has a hole. Does anyone know what this was and if his fin will heal itself?

#3 ·
Has the white stuff gone away?

Yes, fins can regrow. You'll need to do small, frequent water changes (like 10% daily or 20% every 2nd day) to keep the water conditions pristine during the healing process. Melafix (at 1/5 the dose on the bottle) can help as well.

I don't know enough about doctoring fishies to say more about your fishie. Can you post a picture? I'm sure the experts will want to know more about your water conditions (do you test the water? what were the results) and how often you change the water and how much. Is you tank filtered? heated?

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along with more information. In the meantime, start with the water changes.

Keep us posted.

#4 ·
The whiteish spot turned bright red and that portion fell off when I treated him. The condition has not returned. He is doing well now.

I keep him in a small bowl, which I clean with salt water weekly. I have been babying him since the white spot first appeared, changing the water more frequently, and scrubbing harder.

Thank you for all the great suggestions and information!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.