Betta Fish Forum banner

good idea or dumb idea?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  registereduser 
#1 ·
So I have this 29 gallon tank that I was going to move my sorority into but I decided to keep the girls in the 20 and divide the 29 gallon into 3 or 4 barracks for 3-4 more boys.

It's a pretty tall tank so I thought I'd fill it up halfway with sand so that when the tank is filled with water each compartment will be about 6 gallons or more and shallow, better for bettas.

That's a lot of sand, has anyone else done this? Dumb idea or not?

#3 ·
you mean strange gasses stuck in the sand? hmmmmm, not good.

How about filling up with sand half way or so and then installing a glass "cap" on the top to trap the sand and keep it dry. Like a false bottom?

I have to keep thinking about it, that idea would make the tank super heavy!:shock:

#4 ·
The deep sand bed shouldn't go bad. Deeper than 4" and you shouldn't have any problems, from what I've heard the gasses only come from organics being trapped in the sand (eg when stirring sand).

#5 ·
I though you only got the gas when you had live plants...

Is the 20G a tall or long? If its a long, I would divide that since its not THAT tall and go with the original plants to move the girls to the 29G

#10 ·
I've divided a 29 before, not using sand. It works well just don't divide it too much or they will have too much vertical space vs. horizontal space. I would fill the tank all the way, if you have the tank space, why not use it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.