Betta Fish Forum banner

Black Fire spawn

52K views 450 replies 68 participants last post by  CalvinWill 
#1 ·
I wanted to wait until the fry were at least a week old, but something has come up so I figured I might as well start a thread and post everything here.

They spawned while I was at work (2/8/2011). I was so upset I missed it. Watched them for almost an hour the night before and nothing. When I came home I saw Brick guarding the nest and Tina off in the corner with a few nips in her fins. Sure enough, there were eggs in the nest.

Few pics of the pair and set up. Pair is from Aquastar71.

Attachments

See less See more
#264 · (Edited)
OK, going to pic spam you all again. Sorry if it gets annoying... I just think these babies are looking so great! So many changes since day 1... I originally thought I would rehome any males (I really only wanted females except for Fuego) but these lil guys are so cute, I don't know if I will be able to give them up! :/ Anyway, here they are again... :D

Fuego
Fish Organism Fish Freshwater aquarium Tail

Aviator <3
Fish Tail Organism Fish Tilapia

Chameleon
Fish Pink Fish Organism Tail

Goose
Fish Fish Marine biology Feeder fish Organism

Fatty
Fish Fish Feeder fish Organism Tilapia

Hot Tomale (left) and Fatty (right)
Fish Fish Organism Tilapia Feeder fish

Peapod (left) and Hot Tomale (right)
Fish Organism Fish Tail

Aaaand some extra cute ones... :D

Flaring siblings
Fish Tail Organism Fish Feeder fish

I think he is my favorite... :} Aviator
Porcupine Rodent Mouse Hedgehog New World porcupine

And this just makes me laugh! He lives up to his name! (Fatty)
Vertebrate Organism Mouse Muridae Tail

OK that's all... Sorry again. Had to! Love them. :D

Attachments

#266 ·
Mine are all in 1/2gal plastic containers in a heated tank so they stay warm. We have well water so I just fill my 5 gal buckets with 82* clean water, fill my 6 extra 1/2 containers with clean water, scoop the bettas out of the old containers and into the new fresh containers and put them back in the heated tank. I always have extra 1/2 gals so water changes are simple. I try to do 100% every day but I'll admit that I've skipped one or two. Some of the girls are free ranging it in my 30gal community tank.

Sorry about your fry vette91. I'm having trouble with 2 of mine as well. One has serious physical or swim bladder issues. She can't swim well at all. The other one was in the community tank until she overate on bloodworms. I woke up this morning to find that she had a hernia... She is still alive and, though she isn't swimming around too much, she doesn't appear to be on the edge of death either... I've isolated her and I'm treating her with epsom, Kordon's Fish Protector, and API Erythromycin (to prevent bacterial infection)... I have no idea what will happen.

#268 · (Edited)
I made a thread about this, but thought I should ask it here to.

How long should we wait to breed our baby's? I wanted to breed the black coppers but I have no idea when I should start. and I want to make sure I don't do it to early. If I can't breed them this summer I was going to breed another pair, I'm going to a LFS to see if they carry any females I like.

I would post more pics of my girlys but sadly I've filled up all the pictures I'm allowed to have on this site. so I'll post them tomorrow after I've put them on dA :)

*Edit*
I forgot added the very last space with the copper girls. The blue on the left coppers face is just reflection from the divider.

#269 ·
Your babies are all so cute! Technically they are old enough to spawn, the only reason I have been hesitant is that they are still so small. You could potentially spawn the soon but I think I'll be waiting until school starts again so they have at least 2 more months to grow out.

#276 ·
Oh so cute! One of my BC has those red spots too. It's a really interesting look. I'm thinking about crossing her with Senshi. They would make cute babies :3

#277 ·
is the copper coloring what makes them appear sometimes pink sometimes blue?? The 2 confirmed males have this kind of metallic coloration on their fins, when they are flaring especially, that shows up as pink or blue depending on how the light hits. It's so gorgeous.

#278 ·
I don't believe that is a copper trait specifically. The blue/purple/pink shine is irredecence. It can be on any color betta. Ignus has it too, I love it :)

#281 ·
i'm basically a beginner at fry raising so i'm sorry for my questions but...
none of my fry actually flare at each other. They will ram the jar the are in when its "flare" time, but nothing else. They also loose almost all color and get heavy stress lines when they are carded. Is this normal?
They are starting to color up in general but i'm still just worried about them.
The one i thought died is now the most beautiful! she(i think) was barely swimming and was floating around upside down and not really breathing when i found her a few mornings ago but that after noon she was doing great! she has the most color now. it was weird.
I just don't want my new babies to die :( they are turning out to be beautiful though!
and a question about coloring... whats the difference between black fire and red fire? and what is the "copper"?

#283 · (Edited)
@vette:
that's normal - as DQ said recently jarred fry will need adjusting. For now, DO NOT flare them. Keep them in total solitary up to a week. Try to make wc as non stressful as possible - try not to chase them around when netting. Instead do it in one quick scoop or pour them to another container while you clean their jars.

If you plan to keep any in sororities (of the same/similar sizes) do so asap. The longer they are kept in solitary, the more aggressive they get. Remember, since they've been jarred, they will fight when first placed in sororities... unless the others are much bigger than they are.

Sorry, almost forgot about the question on color.
As far as I can .... conclude (?) .... they are all copper based - black coppers .... are (I think) the by product of creating the black dragon. A black copper is a rather grayish-black shade while the "black fire" (only a name the breeders cooked up to make them sound better/new) is actually a black copper with red fins and (I think) black butterfly markings. IDK what a red fire is though because I haven't seen one. A copper is .... my avatar. There are various shades, dark like mine and light or a more silverish color.

#284 · (Edited)
@vette:
If you plan to keep any in sororities (of the same/similar sizes) do so asap. The longer they are kept in solitary, the more aggressive they get. Remember, since they've been jarred, they will fight when first placed in sororities... unless the others are much bigger than they are.
When I first put my girls together two started fighting like males O.O I had to take the boss out so everyone else could look around before placing her back in. Mine are still chasing and nipping a little, but I hope after time it will go down, they also tend to nip more when they notice me because they all rush towards the front of the tank and are really close to one another lol but their fins don't look to bad :)

Here's another photo of my little guy. I put the lamp I'm using to light their aquarium directly over his section so his copper color comes out, flash really flattens the copper on him.
Also my black fire female's body is starting to darken up a little :D

#289 ·
I used this size jar, took off the flip lid and put a cross stitch plastic circle stiff mesh thing over the top. These jars are 3 1/2 by 9 1/2 inches. I know other people used beanie boxes. I think beanie boxes are 4" x 4" x 7 3/8"

@Rayneforest - Are you planning to start a sorority? You may not be able to tell whether some of them are boys or girls to start.

#293 ·
Last night they all "met"... So, Hot Tomale, Peapod, and Fatty all knew each other from being in 1 tank, divided. Then Goose was in a plastic breeder and had known Eggitha thru that, but not in person... So, basically last night they all mingled. Eggitha is prob twice the size of all the babies, but she was nice. A little tiny bit of flaring from her but no nips. Eggitha and Goose have been hanging out like chumps. The other 3 were around and about... but all in all, it was peaceful. Today, H.T, P.P, and Fatty were all hiding down near the driftwood and plants, so i can't really see them... Eggitha and Goose are swimming around like normal... So, maybe there was some drama when I was gone today. But I don't see any nipped fins.

#294 ·
I just got three new females (They are super mellow) so I moved all my girls to the 15g that is heavily planted. the little girls are more aggressive then the big girls lol the big girls mind their own business while the little girls still nip at one another occasion, I have tons of plants floating so they tend to leave each other alone though lol My black copper's are the biggest out of the 6, my marble is one of the smallest along with the black copper who has a little red on the fins.

I got an adorable photo of my marble girl with the new 5 month old blue dragon right before feeding time. I've trained the 3 new girls to also stare at my finger XD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.