Betta Fish Forum banner

Black Fire spawn

52K views 450 replies 68 participants last post by  CalvinWill 
#1 ·
I wanted to wait until the fry were at least a week old, but something has come up so I figured I might as well start a thread and post everything here.

They spawned while I was at work (2/8/2011). I was so upset I missed it. Watched them for almost an hour the night before and nothing. When I came home I saw Brick guarding the nest and Tina off in the corner with a few nips in her fins. Sure enough, there were eggs in the nest.

Few pics of the pair and set up. Pair is from Aquastar71.

Attachments

See less See more
#358 ·
@smellfishie
You're so lucky you ended up with 3 boys, all of mine turned out to be girls :( And I adore them but it was a little dissapointed when I found out that Kamina who everyone thought was a male was actually a female.

@rayneforhest
Here's a couple of updated photos of my marble :D My sorority tank walls have too much algae on them to get good photos of the other girls unless it's light out lol Snail does a ok job XD

#359 ·
Copper, I thought 2 others might be male too but as time goes on I am now pretty sure they are females who are just a bit more feisty! (and one with slightly longer fins)... It's funny because initially I only wanted extra girls besides "Fuego" the male I actually "bought". But, the 2 males I got from this spawn are so cute they are hard to pass up. I thought I would sell them but... I don't think i can do it! I'm attached!

Also, I love the marbles from this spawn. It's so funny to me how two red/black bettas have "WHITE" babies with black splotches. :p I wonder how they will mature... My female Lula (an AB fish- not from the NIB spawn) was "white" (or colorless?) with black and yellow spots (like truly, polka dot type spots) and blue eyes... and over the course of a little over a month she turned almost completely BLACK... Now, the only colorless/white parts are her face, 1 spot on her back, and 3/4 of her anal fin. Everything else is dark, thick, solid black, with (get this) RED tips.. she still has blue eyes. :)

#360 ·
At first I thought I had 3 boys, and 3 girls. I lost 2, one jumped out of its jar, and the other one got knocked off by the dogs when were werent home. I was soooo upset. But now, because none of their fins have been growing really I think they're all female. One has an eggspot, the others do not. =D But it makes me happy, more females for my sorority! Haha.

I will definately have to put some pictures up.

#367 ·
Copper, that's how 2 of my girls look now too. :) Dark bodies, dark red fins. One of them was stripey up to about a week ago, consistently, since moving into the sorority. But, now they are all "normal" colors.... and generally peaceful, after a big shred fest. :} but the black fires did not get shredded really... mostly just my 2 newest veil tails.

#368 ·
@smellfishie
At first two of my girls where fighting like boys O.O It was so bad I even had to take one out for a day, after that they all got a long fine XD

Here's a update on my marble girl, she started getting a lot of faint black markings on her the other day, I can't wait to see how this develops :D

#370 ·
it's hard to say, I thought Kamina was a male until recently when I put her with my sorority... she needs a new name XD She was also super aggressive when I showed her a mirror.

This is her flaring before I put her in the sorority, I totally love her, although I'm a little sad she isn't a male because I thought watching the fins growing would of been awesome XD

#371 ·
Rayne, could be the makings of a male or just a long finned female. One of my females from the spawn is kind of long finned (fatty)

She's the black one all the way on the bottom

Organism Feeder fish Plant Fish

A closeup

Fish Organism Fish Tail Marine biology

And here's my marble :} Goose.

Fish Pink Organism Fish Aquarium

Anyone else notice how these bettas have indented foreheads? My other bettas don't have that...

#376 ·
Thanks, Copper :) I wonder why the indentation?! Now I'm so curious. I have a couple VT females I got from the pet store who are smaller than these girls and do not have the indentation. My adult HMPK females do not have any indent, nor do my two males from this spawn. It makes me wonder because I was also thinking it was a thing they would "grow out of" but so far....... nope.

#379 ·
Thanks, Copper :) I wonder why the indentation?! Now I'm so curious. I have a couple VT females I got from the pet store who are smaller than these girls and do not have the indentation. My adult HMPK females do not have any indent, nor do my two males from this spawn. It makes me wonder because I was also thinking it was a thing they would "grow out of" but so far....... nope.
"Indent"/spoon/dippy forehead is genetic. They will not grow out of it. You have to breed it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.