Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #1 
Erin3

Help! Frozen betta!!!

My parents are fish sitting, and what do you think happened? The Hydor mini heater stopped working sometime overnight. Only had it a few months!!! They woke up to him unmoving at the bottom. I had my mom keep swapping out water until the thermometer on his bowl got into the mid 70s. Now what? Is there anything else they can do? I feel so awful because I adore my fish, and my mom is a total animal lover and is having a meltdown!
He did start swimming as she swapped out water but is back at the bottom again.
She turned the heat way up in the family room for him and put a lamp on the water.

I'm thinking the water was in the mid 50s or worse all night.
Erin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2 
Flint

Can she go get a new heater? Or set it on a heating pad (watching the temp carefully)? Maybe put him in a breeding net in another tank?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #3 
Erin3

So pulled out an old Aqueon betta mini heater while I sent the defective one to Hydor. It's keeping the temp at 76. My betta is acting the same as usual - making bubble nests and flaring at everyone, but he is barely eating.

Could this be from the stress of the experience? Anything I can do to help him regain his appetite? I don't see any physical changes.
Erin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #4 
Kithy

Wouldnt worry too much about not eating. They can go weeks without eating anything with no harm. Give him a few days and try to feed him again. It is probably stress related but if the tank holds stable at 76 degrees he'll be fine.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote