Betta Fish Forum banner

I Need Help Fast!

411 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Aqua Betta 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon (since Saturday, 10/6, before that only in a small 1/2 gallon since May because I didn't know better :cry:)
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, just the filter.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Unfortunately, due to my limited knowledge, I was feeding him freeze-dried bloodworms because he wouldn't eat the pellets. After I found out this is not a staple food, I've tried live brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, pellets, and yesterday Bio Gold pellets (but he's not coming up to the top of the tank since yesterday, even if he does smell it).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually daily, 6 X week, but he hasn't eaten since Friday, October 5. :cry:

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Small tank - 2-3 X week, 3 gallon, haven't changed it yet because I just put him in it on Saturday, October 13.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Small tank, 50% and 100%, big tank, not yet.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Purified water with Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner - 7 drops/gallon. I also added 2 drops of Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Not the new tank Old tank on Friday, October 12 it was (see below) If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.1
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

I'm not exactly sure, but was told that all were in the zero/safe zone. As I mentioned above, I have not tested the new tank water yet.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No, he's still beautiful.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not swimming since yesterday, laying on the bottom of the tank, and not eating for 10 days.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Monday, October 8.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Bigger tank, water changes, trying to entice him to eat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No history of illness that I know of, but I did notice two dark spots on one side of his body yesterday - one really small that he's had for a little while (a friend said maybe one of his scales came off), but the larger one I didn't notice until yesterday.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him as a birthday present on May 16, 2012. I don't know how old he was before that, but I think he was young because he did get bigger and a little more colorful after I got him.

Thank you to all posters that will reply and offer advice. I think he is in dire straits and I'm really trying to help him! :cry:

See less See more
#3 ·
Lelei,

Thank you for your reply. Bottled Purified Water, but Laki told me that tap water with conditioner would be fine, so I will use that from now on (I was worried about chlorine).

I'm getting ready to go see him at work (I'm off today). A co-worker told me he is still moving around the bottom of the tank. I'm going to try to raise him up and/or lower the water level. I am also going to try to feed him using a garlic paste, like Sakura8 told me. I hope I can get him to eat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.