Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #31 
Myates

One of my concerns is when she added in the salt, did she dissolve it first? As placing the grains of salt themselves in with the fish can cause burns to the fish.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #32 
registereduser

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.” ― Maya Angelou
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #33 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Popcorndeer has started 31 threads since she became a member. In almost all of those (most are "emergency help" threads), she never replies or makes any effort to do what the (usually very helpful, patient, and kind) poster says. Look at this, and figure it out for yourselfs- http://www.bettafish.com/search.php?searchid=1749730 . Unsubscribed.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #34 
Blue Fish

Okay, I'm sorry, but if she's actually 13, then she's either giving us all the run around, or she's got some sort of other issues. The grammar in these posts is typically on the poorer side (no insult meant, I know some people have some trouble with spelling, doesn't make you a bad person!), but then there are occasionally times when she spells difficult words and phrases correctly, and the attention to detail about product names is also very specific. Something that is NOT typical of a younger person, nor someone who has this much difficulty following directions. (Again, no offense to anyone with ADD, ADHD, or any other condition that makes following specific directions difficult.) This leads me to believe that this person is probably *not* what they're presenting themselves as.

I know the intention here with so many of the posters who respond is to help because they are good people who want to make sure these living animals are taken care of properly. But, at this point, due to a lack of any photographic evidence, I'm not at all sure that there are even any fish involved.

The board is meant to be an open and welcoming place, and everyone always wants to think the best of all involved...but there *are* unscrupulous people trolling the internet who get kicks out of antagonizing the well-meaning...and I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is one of those cases.

I hope I'm wrong...but by responding, I don't think we're doing any good, but are rather just feeding into whatever is going on here.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #35 
LittleBlueFishlets

This afternoon, Popcorndeer wrote 8 NEW posts elsewhere in the forum. She also started a NEW thread.

So apparently the "sick" fish mentioned in the first post of this thread no longer is of interest to her.

I previously gave her the benefit of the doubt. I thought perhaps she had a learning disability, or a condition such as autism, Asperger's disorder, ADD, etc.

However, as Blue Fish noted, I have also seen instances in which Popcorndeer's spelling and grammar is atrocious, followed by posts in which complex words and phrases are written correctly.

I do not plan on helping Popcorndeer again.

I have spent a lot of time and effort trying to explain things clearly to her, as have many other forum members. Yet, in every instance, the outcome is the same. Hundreds of posts later, we find ourselves in exactly the same place as we started. (And yes, it literally is HUNDREDS of posts.) We become angry and frustrated. Eventually, a moderator locks the thread. And a few days later, the whole cycle begins again.

Registereduser quoted: "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.” ― Maya Angelou"

In addition to this, I would add:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

And to those who attempt to help Popcorndeer on future posts, I would add:

"Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware."
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #36 
Myates

I believe this thread should be closed - it's run it's course. In the future, offer the correct advice/answer once to the issue and move on. This person will either listen to it, or not.. but there really is no reason to continue on about what this person does/says once the initial information is given.

I don't hop around sections like I used to anymore, so I don't see everything.. nor does it matter. Public forum, you're going to get all kinds of people. If it upsets you, walk away. Answer if you wish, give the best advice you can as you would any other and then leave it. Bringing up topics from other threads, etc is just not productive, nor is it positive reading for others who come looking for similar answers. We're not here to judge, but to share our interest/love/knowledge for these fish. This person may make lots of posts, may not "listen" to your advice.. but we can't stop it, nor change it. So either ignore, or offer the help and let it be.
Consider it like feeding strays.. if you feed them, they will come back for more. And I am seeing that is true with some posters here, as continuing to talk down about someone in their thread asking for help.. is not the way to go about it.. it's not the proper way to show what is appropriate in a public forum. Make an example of what you want, not complain for how someone is. Keep in mind, this person may be young, and may have some developmental issues we are unaware of. Don't judge.. help or ignore.. we were all young and inexperienced at some point.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #37 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Yeah, this thread has run it's course for sure. I'm putting up the closed sign.
Closed Thread