Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any disabled fish keepers!

30K views 366 replies 73 participants last post by  registereduser 
#1 ·
Any of you have disabilities. I have ADHD, Asperger syndrome, Scolosis,MTHFR mutation and others what about you all.

#3 ·
Your problems make mine look mild. But I have a theoretical question if you could cure your blindness would you? I am just wondering. Also how do you get around? I wish you the best.

#4 ·
I'll start mild and go heavy.

I have dyslexia
Asthma: Can't run really, never have.
OCD (true OCD not the fake ones people throw around like "I have OCD because I like a clean room." NO OCD is hard to live with in reality.)
Anxiety, just about anything makes me have panic attacks to the point I melt down and can't do some things like drive.
Depression, boy it's no mild illness either. I have the real deal and should be on zoloft but I refused because I hate medication.
Schizotyple Personality disorder.
Paranoid Personality Disorder. Tends to go hand in hand with the one above anyways so it's no surprise to me. Sometimes I can have episodes where it feels more like I have full blown schizophrenia.

#5 ·
I have depression too. I have very mild OCD. I have had symptoms for years. Asperger syndrome is one of those syndromes people fake their like OMG I have trouble with social skills I must have asburgers most do not have any symptoms. I feel like every time I try to be nice I have trouble. I have sesitivity issues. I use observations of people to figure out about people. I learned to see you will be like me with facial structure. I have trouble disgusting getting rid of vitamins and making them. I have few friends. Then their are people who take advantage of autism for profit. I also have issues letting go of stuff and changing. The happy little Betta dance helps me calm down.

#6 ·
I have Aspergers, ADHD, OCD, PICA, PTSD, depression, Bi-polar, Anti-social personality disorder which is caused by the autism, FAS, and microcephaly.

#7 ·
Wow, I think I might have more problems. Right now just Scolosis OCD ADHD asperger syndrome hoarding weak joints MTHFR flat arches. Almost forgot depression .

#9 ·
Schizotyple personality disorder
Depression

#13 ·
Hi fellow aspies! :D I wouldn't call it a disability though... just a difference. Sometimes I wish I were normal, but in the end I'm just happy being me and being unique.

Reactions: dramaqueen
#20 ·
I have bad joins too. Glad there are so many fellow aspies. I also have mthfr mutation it makes getting the proper proteins hard.

#21 ·
my soon to be brother-in-law has aspergers. He's dead set on becoming a pilot. He knows just about everything about the titanic and helicopters. He's extremely smart and gets a lot of really pretty girls (he's a playa xD) He will argue with a brick wall and he never forgets ANYTHING. There is nothing wrong with him, he just has some difficulty relating to people.

#22 ·
my soon to be brother-in-law has aspergers. He's dead set on becoming a pilot. He knows just about everything about the titanic
O.O I know almost everything about the Titanic too and almost everything on animals. But I can't for the life of me remember math

#24 ·
I remember just about anything with the word aquatic in it. Aspies rule and to think evil autism speaks is trying to get rid of autism.

#25 ·
I can safely say today two of my problems are getting the best of me, depression and anxiety.

I think the reason so many people get into fish who have what society calls 'issues' is because they are so calm and yet easy to care for in some ways. Right now I have been dealing with my anxiety and some serious depression and I have noticed having this episode is stressful on my rats because normally I let them out with me and right now they are locked in their cage while i sit locked up in my closet.

#27 ·
I can safely say today two of my problems are getting the best of me, depression and anxiety.

I think the reason so many people get into fish who have what society calls 'issues' is because they are so calm and yet easy to care for in some ways. Right now I have been dealing with my anxiety and some serious depression and I have noticed having this episode is stressful on my rats because normally I let them out with me and right now they are locked in their cage while i sit locked up in my closet.

Watching fish swim around actually does have a theraputic effect on people. It's been proven to help lower blood pressure, and help with anxiety. :]

#26 ·
I'm not blind but am considered legally blind. Really the only thing I can't do is drive. I often feel isolated. I have no friends in real life except a friend in Indiana and my second mom in Colorado. I often feel frustrated because I have no social life. I think that's why we have our fish. We all need to love and be loved and our pets fullfill some of that need. I have also suffered from anxiety and depression.

#28 ·
depression, social anxiety and rage issues, as well as chronic recurring bronchitis that might be COPD and probable diabetes that i'm too chickens**t to get checked out. none of it really affects my ability to care for our fishies, except when a particular object, tank or decoration is really getting on my nerves (setting up dividers is particularly annoying, felt like throwing the new one we got today across the room by the time i got it just right.)

#29 ·
I have/do suffered from chronic depression and anxiety. I have always been able to connect with animals better than people.
I think it's interesting how people with these mental "diseases" seem to be more caring and practical towards animals and people.. Or is that just me? Doesn't there seem to be a correlation between the two?

#30 ·
i personally think animals are worth more than people. an animal can do horrible things if pushed to it, or if it's in the animal's nature, but they never do them with any kind of malice. if there's one species of animal that NEEDS to go extinct, it's humans.

#31 · (Edited)
I broke my neck on the job due completely to a coworkers stupidity back in 2001,worked until December 2008 (I was pretty much dragged kicking and screaming from the workforce...I'm stubborn like that :lol:),C2 and C4,there's damage all the way down to the lower lumbar/pelvic region including but not limited to trauma induced scoliosis,fused vertibrea,degenerative and disintigrated discs,nerve damage,and there was some minor damage to the portion of the brain that controls short term memories (makes for a built in excuse with the Wife though :p:cool:). I have good days and bad,constant pain (I have developped a high tolerance to most forms of pain over the years) that's 100% of the time,but often spikes. C3 will occasionally "slip out of place" and cause all kinds of temporary issues. I sometimes go for months with no issues other than the constant moderate pain and stiffness/lack-of-range-of-motion,but sometimes it's difficult to walk. There's shrapnel in my right lower leg from my ARMY days,but it's just a good story/scar,it doesn't have issues other then being pretty :lol:

Hmm,lets see...self inflicted injuries over the years (not intentional,mind you,LOL,due to taking risks)...I've broken most of my ribs on the right front,3 on the left (motocross),right arm (ditto),right foot (ditto),my nose (bar fight in my early 20's,I won,LOL),my right collarbone (cycling),the right shoulder has been ripped out of it's socket twice,and the rear clavical muscle was torn loose from the bone once (same mtn biking incident),lets see...I split/sliced my left index finger in-two like a banana split on the job the same year I broke my neck,nearly bled to death walking (yes...walking) to the ER out in Utah,severed nerves,tendons,muscle,bone...it's all synthetic now,doesn't bother me.......maybe my biggest disability has been the lack of the ability to not take too many risks,ya think? :shock::roll: I'm a bit safer now,have 2 kids to finish raising ;-):cool:

FWIW,I am legally disabled due to the spinal injuries now-I call it "retired",but this allows me to be a house-dad and spend lots of time with the Wife and kids,which I missed lots of in my former career as a long haul truck driver,I'm loving that-the issues I deal with seem a small price to pay for that...I accept that most of it will degenrate as I age,but still worth it,I missed TOO much :)

#32 ·
I broke my neck on the job due completely to a coworkers stupidity back
i worry about this kinda stuff a lot at my job, half of the forklift operators aren't certified and have been on a lift less than 3 months (hell, they put my uncertified butt up on one all the time) the other day, one such operator ran over my foot while trying to unload a scrap tailer, if i hadn't been wearing steel toes i'd have left there with a broken foot and a nice comp check :D i'm just hoping that nothing ever happens to me, or if anything does, it'll be a temporary injury that won't last long, and will end with me getting a nice settlement for their stupidity.

#33 ·
I hear you...I've seen some dumb stuff by forklift drivers...my injury came from a codriver in my personal tractor (leased onto a company,pulling their trailers,it was their driver I took out for a couple weeks while my driver vacationed),he'd been back in the sleeper for over 12 hours,and admitted later,he'd been up watching dvd's the whole time,no sleep...well,he slept a few minutes before crashing at 90+MPH in Utah al;ong I70 :evil::cry:

#34 ·
Wow, I will never be able to do things like join the military. I will always need vitiman supplements I can not run due to low energy and hurting bones and muscles. Just mild problems for me.

#35 ·
I have more injuries than I can really remember. My biggest issue is with my hands....I have cut a finger off,had a screw driver go completely through my left hand,also had some wire from a mig welder go trough my hand,had a catfish barb go about 3" deep between my thumb and forefinger...I have nerve damage in both hands which keep me from grasping things for extended periods...I have a hard time holding things like cups...my hand will just spaz out and I'll drop what ever I'm holding. I have also been shot in the leg,broken collar bone,broke my nose a few times,broken jaw and broken eye socket from falling from a tree and back in my tree cutting days I got an axe stuck in the back of my head. My body is so beat up that I may be forced to an early retirement or at least find a less demanding job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.