Betta Fish Forum banner

Housekeeper for betta in small tank (2.5g)

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bastage 
#1 ·
So I have 3 betta's each in there own 2.5g tank. Water is changed 2-3 times a week about 2/3rd of a gallon each time. Well there is becoming a buildup of stuff in the rocks that I would like to curb before it gets excessive.

What is a good tank mate that can live in such small confines given no active filtration?

And were not having a problem with the water clouding at all or buildup on the side of the tank's.

#4 ·
you can get some shrimps :D i personally prefer amano shrimp because they clean algae and left over food plus they are big enough to find when you do water change. They do poop a bit more than red cherry shrimps and ghost shrimps though

#8 ·
Just clean the tanks out, rinse the gravel once a week. Snails are major waste producers, so even though it would pick up the food, it would still produce waste to replace it lol Usually I'd recommend tank mates in anything over 5g.
This is why I do 50% once a week and 100% once a week, to clean out the gravel of poop or left over pellets I missed :)

#10 ·
You are the clean up crew. If you have issues with algae shrimp can be helpful. Snails are nice for some tanks (esp in planted tanks). However if it's issues with gravel you need to clean it somehow... gravel vac is a good choice for a 5 gallon.

#13 ·
Malaysian Trumpet Snails will over populate a tank in a month, since the OP wants a clean up crew.

You can siphon sand, you just have to find a method that works for you. Google it. Most people siphon at an angle, or use small airline hose (like I do for my sand tanks).

If you want snails, get Assassin snails. They will clean, they stay small and they will help you with air pockets in your sand. Other than that, shrimp.

#14 ·
If your getting over run with MTS then your overfeeding your tank. I have them in all my freshwater tanks 2.5g to 40 breeder, haven't had any out of control population explosions, so far the only snail explosion I had was from mystery snails awhile back which was probably from me overfeeding.

I use a hose a bit bigger then an airline hose and hover it about 1" above my sand it sucks up any debris and leaves the sand alone.

#18 ·
well at this point I have moved the snail out of one of my 3 boy's tanks & moved a ghost shrimp into it.. Was done simply that the betta sam (in my avatar) constantly acts weird.. he try's to buy himself under whatever he can. I would put in hiding spots & he instead of using them still tries to bury himself in the gravel. I Wanted to see if he would take to shrimp any better then the snail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.