Betta Fish Forum banner

Disgusting Film All Over Tank

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  MSG 
#1 ·
My fish Sonas is fine as far as I can tell, but I really want to know what's going on with this really nasty film that keeps showing up in his tank. Anywho, here's what's going on. The past two weekends I've been out of town with extended family, and each time I come back after a few days to find this icky white substance coating the surface of the water, and anything at or above the surface (like my heater's cord, or decorations). The only thing I can think of its a build up of stesscoat as the water evaporates (we've had 90+F temps out, so I have a fan blowing across the top of the water to speed evaporation and keep the water cool). It hasn't happened in my cycling tank (which has since finished, and is currently housing Sonas), but its happened twice in a row in my 3 gallon. It doesn't seem to have hurt Sonas while he was in the dirty tank, as far as I can tell, but it did really stress him out, and even more so when I'd change the water for him.

Here's as many of the questions as I can answer that are relevant.
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons (my 6.6 gallon has no issues)
What temperature is your tank? 80-84F (I can't get it any cooler without using ice cubes)
Does your tank have a filter? No (the 6.6 does)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Values at last check:
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:20ppm (from tap)
pH: 7.4-7.6

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% 2 or 3 times a week, depending on the water. I did 100% changes before each weekend trip.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%, as stated
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stresscoat and a little aquarium salt (for a missing scale issue that's since been resolved, and am reducing the amount used slowly)

I want to repeat that, as far as I know, Sonas is in no danger. I just moved him to a 6.6 gallon tank that has just finished cycling, and is planted, and I've never had any issues with this tank. Its just the 3 gallon that I just moved him out of that kept having this issue.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Try removing the heater... See if it stops. If it doesn't, good that is not the culprit. I am used to 1. heater snot. Icky, gooey, slimy stuff. OR 2. protein film. It could very well be the heater (or heater snot :) ) Is there any smell in there? Like, rubber, decay, rotten eggs, sweet, etc?

#3 ·
It just smelled like fish. Since Sonas is no longer in that tank with that heater, I might just run a test to see if it is the heater that's causing it. It seemed too extreme to be a buildup of stresscoat from water evaporation XD I thought protein film was just from uneaten food decaying? If that's true, then it's not that, as this was during a several day fast. From Thursday to Sunday/Monday in both cases

#6 ·
Try leaving the fan off and see if it happens. If it doesn't, turn the fan on and see what happens. Sounds like something in the air there because you've had this film... an ongoing film that got worse when you put the fan on. Is the wall behind the fan stucco'd by any chance? Is the paint on the wall old? Look at the blades on your fan... wipe your finger across one if you can... see what comes off the blade. Is it like a white powdery substance?

#7 ·
Protein film isn't just from uneaten food. It's just whatever is in the air or water, and is more usual in stagnant water.

#9 ·
I was gonna say protein film as I get that on all my smaller tanks with no filters and it can get kinda thick but not THAT thick. I have wondered if stress coat adds to the film. If i use Amquel plus or prime I don;t get the film nearly as bad as I do when I use stress coat.

#10 ·
That is pretty nasty.

I have no idea what it is, but I agree it might be a combination of the fan blowing something into the water, the water evaporating, and the stress coat aloe vera congealing somehow into that mess.. It does look like someone had a bad cold and decided to use the tank like a tissue. :sick:

I only use stress coat in much smaller then the recommended amount (Just a few drops on top of normal water dechlorinator if needed.) because things I read said it can gum up their gills... Your picture makes me think that may have a hint of truth in it. I will definitely be stalking this thread to see what it turns out to be if you can figure it out.

Why would a heater cause that to happen?

#11 · (Edited)
It's just that I've gotten film before from a standing container... but I've never seen anything like that. Makes me think that either something else is getting into the water via the fan or the fan is fueling the film by hyper oxygenating it.

I've had containers stand under a ceiling fan before that got film... but geeze... which makes me think something else might be going on... will research this.

#13 ·
I forget... Does your tank have a filter? I do notice sometimes with my open top tanks, that if I have a filter the pad can get slimy (so I give it a good rinse), but the water doesn't even get the minor protein film. I think the slime you have would stress the betta because they like going to the surface :) poor fish is meeting an invisible forcefield lol

#14 ·
The 3 gallon doesn't have a filter (which is the one that had problems), but my 6.6 does (and its never had problems). I'll probably be running tests over the next few weeks, trying to figure out what has caused this film, so I can avoid it in my 6.6 gallon. I'll be running the heater alone in the 3 gallon and see if it causes a film after 4 days, if it does nothing, I'll add some stress coat in my normal dosing regiment. If that still does nothing, I'll add the fan (if Sonas doesn't need it). If that STILL does nothing, I'll remain clueless XD

#15 ·
Well then if nothing else determines it, try adding a filter ;-) (I have Marina slim adjustable filter)

#16 ·
I've had something similar happen before. it happened in my quarantine plant tub. I was also using stress coat at the time, also was medicating with kordon ich attack, probably had some salt in it too :S The top had this film that was thick gooey and brown. I tossed everything, lol

#18 ·
Well, as I've finally settled some things down in my apartment, my tests can officially begin. I got some ghost shrimp, which I had to keep in the 3 gallon for a while, and it started getting that same thick, icky feeling in the water that usually comes before the film. But, now all the shrimp are out of that tank, and in with Sonas, so the 3 gallon is empty.

My first test is of regular tap water in the 3 gallon with ONLY the heater. No stress coat, no decorations, no gravel, no stock. Just started it this morning, so now its a waiting game.

#19 ·
My fish had that. I put the tank in the dishwasher and bought melafix the bacterial infectious. Cleaned the plants with it and thew away the old rocks. It went away. Few flare ups and I just kept doing the same thing. 5 months later no more slime. Anyway hope this helps, good luck :)

#21 ·
Woah, I've never seen anything like that. I would get another tank, and if you want to save that tank, run it through a dishwasher or something. Then spray it down with 2%-5% solution of bleach, air dry it, and then sort of leave it out for the sun's UV rays to bake before using it again.

It has to be some sort of bacteria. Bleach will kill it, but if you don't rinse out the bleach, it will kill the fish when you reintroduce them into the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.