Betta Fish Forum banner

white eye now bettafix affecting other betta

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
Please help me with my Betta's please!!
It all started about a week ago when my male bettas eyes developed a white dot in the middles. It looks like cataracts and is only in the center of each eye. There is no swelling or popping out noticable. He was eating and acting fine so i just did a 50% h2o change and monitored. :roll:

2 days ago he developed what looks like a pellet in his nostril which turned white yesterday. I took an h2o sample to the pet store and asked for help. H2o was good and they recommended I use Bettafix for my guy as they think it is fungal infection. I gave the appropriate dose last night. After giving it I looked up on here about bettafix and heard the horror stories:shock:. I have been closely monitoring my bettas for any reaction.

Tonight I went to give them there bedtime pellets and found my female, (not the original sicky) hiding in a plant with gasping gills!!!! She has never done this before!! I panicked...did a 75% h2o change. as I started the change she snapped out of it and came around the gravel syphon as she normally does and acted normal. After the h2o change I feed them and she ate a pellet but spit it back out and refused to eat. This is the girl that would eat 10 pellets a meal!!:-(

As it stands my male is acting fine but still has the spots on his eyes and a white thing on his nose. My female has stress lines and not eating but is acting normal, (comes to the glass when i look in, swimming around etc). I am so concerned but do not want to use the Bettafix again:shake:

They live in a 10gal tank. Have a heater set at 80, a filter, artifical plants, and gravel. Living with them are 3 dwarf frogs and 1 snail. I think the water quality is ok since presently 2 of my dwarf frogs seem to be mating.
I have attached 2 pics of them from today in case I am missing something that your experienced eyes can see.

Please help....What should I do?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If a fish gets cataracts, it's alright - do not panic. HOWEVER....cloudy eyes can be a sign of bacterial infection. Dianne went through this already, so I know :)

Another thing... You treated HIM in the same tank as her? And is that tank divided?

Any time you medicate, do not medicate the other fish. Remove the infected one, and treat as needed in a quarantine bowl (1 gallon is fine). As for the fungus, it may be columnaris, but don't hold me on that!

Remove him, into a quarantine. Get Maracyn2, Jungle Fungal Cure, or what you can find other than bettafix.

How often do you clean the tank?

#3 ·
This morning my female is eating again and the stress lines are gone...ya

I do h20 changes 25-50% weekly depending how the tank is looking and use a gravel syphon. I change my filter every 2-3 months.

I dont want to separate the betta because they seem to get depressed. When they had babies last year I took the female out and she just sat at the bottom of her tank. I tried a divider but they kept ramming into it to get at each other and were hurting themselves. Since then they have been together in the 10 gal with and have been happy. no fighting at all. I do have alot of artificial plants hanging from the top they can get away in if they need too though.

Also today my makes white spot on his nose have gotten smaller and divided into 2. I wonder if all the water changes in the last few days is helping or if it is from the one dose of bettafix???

#4 ·
You are actually stressing them out. Having both male and female together, they both emit a horomone basically saying "it's me, I'm here!" I have known MANY people keep male and female together and the result is the same: a year later both die from "unknown causes" AKA stress. They tolerate, not love.

IF the spots are going away, good. It was a cut, and the white was slime coat.

I still recommend dividing, to avoid stress. To us it is love, to them it is tolerance.

#5 ·
ok you cannot have female bettas and male bettas in the same tank for prolonged time outside of breeding. They don't get sad and lonely, they don't need a bf/gf. They are solitary creatures by nature. Even having in a divided tank will cause your girl to egg up, and possibly end in a burst. Hormones and pheromones get into the water and cause major problems. I highly suggest separate tanks, no matter how "heavily" planted you think your tank is.

now as for the issue at hand with your boy. He's probably just developing cataracts. the white thing in his nose was probably a fungal infection (IE cumularious) can be alternately treated with a typical fungal treatment. or if your into the really natural method do stress coat, aq salt and IAL.

#6 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I have now purchased aquarium salt to try for a few days on the advice of a pet store associate. Not sure if I should though or simply wait to see if this continue to improve with water changes. His eye are not clearing although the white on his nose is.

As for being together. I've started thinking.... Does anyone else have a male and female together?? Probably will ask that in another thread but I am very curious. Mine always seem to be peaceful and with each other. Even if you look in my second picture where the flash mark is you can see my male right with my female. They eat together and huddle beside each other under a half cup all night. Is this not normal for Bettas??

#7 ·
no its not. There was only one other person I know that had them together. We all warned them about the dangers of having males and females together in the same tank, undivided. They said their fish had been together for a year or so with no problems, we all wished them luck and let it be. Within a couple of weeks their girl was very bloated, but it was too late. She had burst from being egg bound. We were all there for them and supported them even through the loss, but we did warm them. Most of the people here will never tell you to put them together...

#9 ·
I knew someone from work who kept her male and female together. They died. Not from fighting, no, they tolerated each other that much....but from stress.

#11 ·
yup just follow the directions on the box. You can treat him for up to ten days with that stuff. I should take about 3 to start seeing improvements and about a week for it to be completely gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.