Betta Fish Forum banner

A couple of questions

934 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I wanted to let you know that i have been reading through all the posts and have found them soooo helpful.

This is my second attempt at having a betta. I think the first one may have been unwell when i bought it (i felt sorry for the bad conditions it was kept in), and it lasted less than a week. I am determined that this won't happen to Wolfgang II, so i was hoping you could answer a couple of questions for me.

The first question i have is about the food. I have Aqua One Betta Pellets and he loves them. They just seem so tiny to me (the size of small toast crumbs). I see that people say that they feed 3 or 4 pellets twice a day to their fish. I just wonder whether these pellets are larger than the one im using? Does anybody use these pellets?

The second question is about cleaning out the tank. My first fish died the day after i changed his water for the first time. I have a 2 gallon tank and the first water change i would like to do this time is a half change. My question is, do i leave Wolfie in there while i take out and replace the water?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me. He seems really happy so i dont want to underfeed him or traumatise him with water changes! ;-)

See less See more
#2 ·
The first question i have is about the food. I have Aqua One Betta Pellets and he loves them. They just seem so tiny to me (the size of small toast crumbs).
I now use "Hikari Betta Bio-Gold" Pellets and Lucky loves them. But since your betta loves those stick to those. I would feed him as much as directed though.

#3 ·
I'd only feed 2-3 pellets 2x a day. I personally take my bettas out when I do water changes, but I know some people leave them in the tank. Are you trying to cycle the 2 gallon at all? If not, you need to be doing water changes a little more frequently.

#4 ·
The directions don't really say how much to give them.
This is what it says:
Fish can be fed small amounts up to 3 times daily over a 1 to 2 minute period. Ensure your fish eats all of the food put in the aquarium. Excess food should be removed if not consumed within 5 minutes.
Wolfgang consumes what i give him in about 20 seconds.

I am not trying to cycle the tank because ive read on here that the tank is too small to do. I was just thinking that i would do a half water change for the first one so that he isnt freaked out.

#8 ·
a) Yes i did. I have a new one now that was recommended to me.
b) It had been 3 days since i had changed his water

I've just had a look at the "Hikari Betta Bio-Gold" pictures on Google Images and those pellets look about 10 times the size of the Aqua One ones. The Aqua One pellets look like sand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.