Betta Fish Forum banner

OCD Betta?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  bxtorr19 
#1 ·
Ok, another question about my girlfriend's fish (her comp's down and slow...). It's moderately OCD... First it would take 'rides' in the bubbles from the bubble stone, then go off of them and to the bottom, swim behind the stream and then back into it and ride it back to the top. It would do this for however long it was entertained by it. Then it'd go about it's swimming and normal fish activities. It did this for about a week or so. Now it's moved to going in an oval around it's thermometer (stuck to the side of the glass on the tank). It'll swim/ float under it and then swim up to the top, then back down, and then repeat the process. I watched today (off and on) and it did this for roughly a hr and a half before I got tired of watching. A small amount of history that may or may not be relevant to this question. He was a bit of a rescue fish and his tail fin was (and still is) pretty short and all, but he's getting better (using Melafix). Is this normal or what? Any suggestions?

#5 ·
Yeah...fish can be weird like that. I have five kuhli loaches in one of my tanks, and one of them (I think it's the same one...they all look the same, really) like to swim in circles against the glass and ride the current coming up from an air stone. He'll do it for hours at a time. I guess fish are just easily entertained?

#6 ·
I had one that pushed the thermometer against the side of his bowl and made a clinking sound. He did it 5 or 6 times. Every time it made the clinking sound, he would kind of jump back then do it again. Its like he knew it would make a sound and thats why he did it.

#8 ·
I can't say that I know of him tapping it against the glass, but I can say that he rides the current from the airstone. It's funny to watch him do it cause he spreads his fins to get a better ride. It's funny to watch. Least he isn't the only one with bizarre behaviors that make him look a lil 'special'. He he.

#10 ·
I read once... or maybe heard on discovery... that animals in camptivity, regardless of species, have a tendency to repeat actions over and over in patterns simply out of boredom. There was a lion at the zoo that would stroll a certain circle and then foot plant off a boulder and repeat. Then a walrus I saw on TV continuously swam in a loop-da-loop. It just how they deal from what I understand.

#13 ·
My first Betta, Armonde, used to love wrecking his tank and gravel set up so that the sparkle gravel that I had in the tank would get sucked up the air tube and spit out by the air stone, then he would chase the gravel as it sunk to the bottom of the tank. It was funny to watch, but it would annoy the heck out of me because every time I just got the tank cleanned and settled, he'd mess it right back up. lol He lived 2 years until my niece tried to "pet him" during a water changed and smashed his head in and killed him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.