Betta Fish Forum banner

Marbled Betta progression?

22K views 111 replies 55 participants last post by  Aqua Aurora 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was doing some reading on marbled betta fish, and saw that you can start out with a "normal" looking fish, and when the gene takes over, you'll have a totally different, totally awesome fish!

This is where I got this info
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1114

Does anyone have a progression of their own they'd like to share?
Or does anyone have a progression showing color development and change with age, I find this very fascinating.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Bummer! Sounds really awesome though. I have geckos and as they get older certain patterns can become more pronounced, dalmatian spots can arise etc.. I had no idea Bettas could do this!

My first Betta Magikarp has changed a lot, but I assumed that was because he was in rough shape when I got him and his colors finally got to come out.

When I got him at Petco Jan of this year:

and Now

I'm excited to see if my newest has any changed as he grows :)

#7 ·
Thanks :) He's so feisty! He NEVER EVER sits still.. the first few days I had him he just floated at the top of his tank.. and all of a sudden he was the king of the place. The bottom shot is the only full body picture I have of him.. I caught him sleeping at the front of the tank when I turned on the lights in the morning.. I sprinted to get my camera and didn't regret it. My new guy, Mr. Squiggles loves the camera and doesn't mind me taking his picture.

#8 ·
I've had a few marbles over the years. The change is always so interesting to watch, sometimes in the end they don't look anything like the fish you brought home! xD

My very first marble and third betta ever, Smore:

Axis, who didn't marble up too drastically but still had a nice little change:

Ciel's progression:

The marbles I have currently haven't changed too much on me yet, but Dice has started marbling up a little. I look forward to seeing how he changes.

The Doctor and Undertaker are my other two marbley boys, but they're fairly new, so no noticeable change as of yet. xD I can't wait to see how they change.
Sorry to kinda....spam your thread with pictures. xD;

#12 ·
Hmm.....I'd say no on the marble with this guy. He looks like hes from a Cambodian spawn, just a pastel Bi-color though. He may end up surprising you of course, but I'd say is highly unlikely he'll marble.
Hes adorable though. xD I have a soft spot for CTs. <3

Red has a little blue on all of his fins, minus his pectorals. can you tell me if he is a marble? He is my avatar, but here's the pic larger...
Sorry to annoy...
Not at all. ^-^
first of all hes a lovely little guy, gotta love those reds! xD But I'd also say its highly unlikely he'll marble. The blue looks like just a touch of iridescence. ;)

#10 ·
Haha, thank you! xD

Its generally pretty easy to tell if bettas are marbles or not....as you can see in most of my 'before' pictures, marbles generally have little splotches or spots of random color here and there. The 'butterfly' coloring, which you can see a little of in Axis's before picture, also often goes along with marbling.....many will even loose the butterfly as they change.

However, sometimes you get surprise marbles. I once had a boy that was a nice dark Orchid-ish color with a tad bit of a red wash(Actually.....quite a lot like your HMPK boy there, though Batman was a little darker)who suddenly started marbling on me and turning lighter. xD I freaked out at first thinking there was something wrong with him, he'd never given me any sort of indication that he might be a marble.

So you can generally tell which ones'll marble and which won't when you pick them up, but really with pet store bettas, not being able to know their genetic background and all, its really totally impossible to say for certain.

#13 ·
Whew! I'm actually glad because I was just watching him swim around and I really love his colors now! I'm glad that he's settled in to his new home and swims around more.
I wish I didn't make the fatal error of feeding blood worms before real food... I'm going to fast him, and start him on only NLS pellets.. He's quite spunky.

#15 ·
I'm going to offer them tomorrow when I get home..and only offer them until he eats.. I'll soak them in garlic too..

Yeah, I love him! I just lost a new betta who decided to jump out his tank... so I went out and got a new guy, and my co worker said I should get a peach one because they are pretty, and he was pretty close to peach and gave me the puppy dog eyes :)

He's very photogenic, so I didn't have to do much work :) I liked how the sunlight hit him at the right angle and made him glow.

#18 · (Edited)
Good luck! Hopefully your guy isn't as picky as my Legolas.....took me two weeks to get that little bugger to eat his pellets. ;P THEN he tried to turn himself into a PK.....sigh....

Awww, I'm sorry for your loss. D: At least you have this lovely little guy now though. <3

Ahhh, I love it when I get guy or gal whos photogenic! xD I'm kinda a bit of a photography nut, I LOVE taking pictures and since my fish are right there in my room with me they generally become my most common subjects....xD I love it when I go to take pictures and they pose for me. <3

Ooooo, very nice registereducer! Very neat change on him! xD
I've also find pale/white/opaque bettas often turn into marbles pretty often, actually. Not sure what it is, but the gene seems to wiggle its way in there somehow. xD

#20 ·
i will definetely be follwing this thread! I just got a BABY (HES UNDER AN INCH) HMDT and he is completely cellophane except these big black beady eyes lol. He has his own thread. He is already shwoing signs of iridescense and blue, so i know he will marble ^^ great thread!

#21 ·
TARDIS is a blue/black marble with black/clear fins, and lately he's started getting some red in the clear portion of his dorsal. i was worried at first thinking he was bleeding into the membranes, but it's definitely coming in as a solid red color mass, not streaks like you'd expect with bloody fins.

#27 ·
Marbles can surprise you so much... sometimes you wouldn't even know they are marble. My Winchester was a cellophane when I bought him, absolutly no color and I've had him for about 10 months now and he has very recently started to have blue on his body which was entirely pink. So now he has a small blue spot on his body and his tail has a couple of blue and black rays but he's recently also started to tail bite so he bit that part off. Silly Winchester... Anyway, can't wait to see what happens in the next month.

#28 ·
I have two marble girls!
Echo before:

Echo now:

Celeste before:

Celeste now:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.