Betta Fish Forum banner

Trying a new method!

7K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
So I keep running across this guy on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/user/ThaiTyBeta?feature=watch ) while I think he has the worlds biggest ego, I want to try his method of breeding in a 5 gal round bucket. Now I may not agree with the bucket being bare and removing the dad 20 min after the last egg is laid. So my dad will stay and there will be java moss also in the bucket. But other then that I want to see if there is any improvement in fry numbers of health or ease of breeding.

After that horrendous first spawn with him Psycho as he is loving referred to will be paired with another multi female. He has been acting better with females, age (he is about a year now ) and experience have helped. He may not look like much but he threw some very nice formed babies in his first spawn, I will have to post pics of them soon, and I bred him so I know his parents. But anyways I have a little extra time on my hands and wanted to see how it works for me.
Here he is :
View attachment 66644

#3 ·
His method? are u kidding me? that's an insult to all the betta breeders around the world, but since he's the first one to actually put some videos online about something that i thought most of u guys already knew go ahead. Works really well. try my method then! breeding them in a gallon of milk cut in half and then moving the nest to a brand new tank :) sorry i just got a lil offended that's all. let us know how it went.

#4 ·
Legendary: Every breeder does things differently one way or another. This guy's method (just like anyone else's) involves much more than the recipient he uses to spawn. I'm sure Creat was not crowning him as the person who first used a 5 galon round bucket to spawn. There's no need to get offended.

Creat: This guy is well known in the betta world for self proclaming himself as the best betta breeder in the world and that his methods are the ONLY correct ones. The guy just makes my head turn.

I don't see anything wrong with breeding in a 5galon round bucket, we all do things differently but I don't see how that would help you in fry numbers.

Let us know how it goes.

#5 ·
That is what I use to spawn mine outside...Full to the top 5gal buckets and they work great.

When I set one up-I half fill it with dried Oak leaves, fill with water and let it sit for a month or so. This is so I will have a nice colony of all kinds of critters for the fish to eat and this allows more time for the tannins to leach out to make the water really dark.

When I get ready to add the breeders-I will add a bunch of stem plant clipping to float as well as some floating plant-like water lettuce.

If I did this in the house-I would probably do it the same way-but maybe less Oak leaves so I could see in the bucket better.

#6 · (Edited)
@Legendary I was certainly not crowning his as the first one to use 5 gal buckets to breed in. Didnt mean any offense but like said everyone does things a little different, for some reason I just never thought to breed them in a bucket only in square 5 gals totes. And , if you want, to I think a lot of people would like to see how you breed in milk jugs :)

@vilmarisv I can understand any one who claims something like that makes me grit my teeth a little harder.

@OFL I will try to do that outside when the weather turns (its winter now), moved here for the nice even temp summers ;) I have never managed to do an outside spawn.

Update: The male is flirting like mad no nest though. Hopefully he will decide to make one soon. The female is a little freaked out seeing as how she cant hide anywhere.

#7 ·
I do both, inside-year around and outside-in the warmer months. I have never tried the 5gal bucket in the house-but only because I have plenty of spawning tanks to use and I like to watch them spawn and play with the babies...lol....
Outside, I keep the water really dark tanned-it seems to help with the heat a bit (gets over 100'sF) I get lots and lots of offspring and natural selection too. I leave both the male and females together all summer and remove the fry as I see them to other outside containers. Neither the male or female eat the fry, however, the older fry do eat the younger fry.

Since I use a more natural method to spawn using full to the top with water 5-10gal tanks- soil based and heavy planted-stocked with shrimp and snails. I sometimes leave them together to get a couple of back to back spawns.

As vilmarisv posted...lots of different ways to successfully spawn this species....Its finding what works best for you, what you have on hand and the breeders. IMO/E-not really a right or wrong method per se. I have been spawning this species for a really long time and do nearly everything different than most or what you will read on the internet. I found my own way and found that something are not needed or it doesn't matter.

#8 ·
I do not see why his method (well...part of his method...) is "bad", Legendary. It is really his big fat EGO that is the offense, rather than most of the methods within. He is someone who thinks he is god, therefore no one believes in him :lol:

(sorry for that religion joke lol)

Anyways... Tell us how it goes!! I have used a bin, tank etc, I still find a tank is better for me - but with paper or towels to block out any sight in and out. Every method, every breeder, is different ^^

#9 ·
If it works well I like to think I now have a use for all those 5 gal buckets I have managed to collect.

#10 ·
Laffs...I hear that.....I have about 20 of them, however, nearly every one of them sits outside under the drip line of the house with something aquatic in them...be it plants, fish or mosquito larva to collect for fish food...lol...

One thing I have found out over the years of spawning this species as well as others.....Live mosquito larva mass fed will get them in breeding condition faster than anything else.

I have females that demand to be spawned after a couple of days of mass feeding live mosquito larva...the male doesn't have a choice...either spawn or be destroyed....lol....Even the eggs seem bigger and never fall from the nest...not sure if its 100% the larva-but you can't go wrong with good nutrition. Healthy fish=healthy offspring.....

#11 ·
OFL..love your posts and credit you and others here for making me a better slave to my betta fish. As for thaitybetta, he is very annoying as he brags way way too much but there are things that can be learned from his videos. I try to learn a little bit from everyone. Creat please keep us posted on how this goes as I am considering doing the same method.

#13 ·
I know I wish it was summer all year :)
And he does have good points now is he said them nicer I may of thought better of him... but I still want to try this new bucket idea

#14 ·
Someone like the YouTube guy can still know few about betta I have heard people give terrible betta advice and claim to be a breeder.

#15 ·
Wait the you tube guy trains bettas to fight and then says there are no good videos of training on you tube I would never listen to any word he says.

#16 ·
Lol he is....an interesting person. I tried to ask a question, and he went off on a rant, deleted my comment and blocked me. :/ -sigh- HOWEVER... why not try some of the methods? I have also heard of some people fighting bettas, to breed only the strongest... (Not the same as ameteur people thinking it's "funny")

#18 · (Edited)
What is so bad about glass tanks he says it's terrible and everyone else is wrong. His fish are pretty ugly. I thought you weren't supposed to feed bettas during spawning?

#19 ·
You're able to feed bettas during spawning it's just that the conditioning is getting them ready to spend a long time without food. I personally feed my fish during their resting periods in the spawning tanks.

#21 ·
Yes but that is not the point the OP is making.. They would like to try the tub method mentioned within one of the videos.

I did not have a question, I was pointing out a secondary method that is also used but may seem controversial to some.

#23 ·
Thaitybetta- has his own way of doing things. But you can't compare note with him. Question his opinion/method, he goes into loony mode. Nevertheless his method has been used by others.

Plastic (tubs/buckets) is not a good heat conductor thus heat should be fairly stable compared to glass tanks. True! But you can't really see fry growth - which is more important to you, stable temp or watching fry develop. IME results are fairly the same either way.

Bare setups usually makes spawning faster. But sometimes your female will be badly beaten. Smaller setups work the same way - faster and beat up female. I've used 1g regular glass tanks and 1g shallow plastic containers. They produce less fry and need frequent water change - sometimes 2-3 times daily (depending on number of fry). But they all work.

One point I don't agree with Thaity is taking the male out and letting the eggs develop on their own. For this to succeed you need a bacteria free container and tank/tub. Aged water usually produces less fry with this method. I couldn't get a straight answer on this topic to compare notes. Another point I don't agree is feeding fry non live food. IMO keeping fry from bacteria/parasites will make fry (or, later, betta) prone to diseases. They need to develop immune systems since young. .... just my opinion.

Good luck Creat.

#24 ·
Update: I released the female for 15 min but no spawning so I re-caught the female just as stated should be done. Psycho built a nest but not under the styrofoam cup >.> its just floating happily on its own in the middle of the water. Its what he did the last time he had eggs hopefully he will go along with my plan and move it under the cup. I will try to get set up pics soon.

I have to agree with feeding the fry only 'dead' foods no live is a little strange to me. When I am forced to feed fry non live food a few weeks after they are born I feel like more then half end up dying....

#25 ·
I agree on the non-live foods as the only food being... well not as great. I have tried different methods but I found live foods still being number one :)

#26 ·
When I have breeding supplies I am trying the 10 gallon method with live plants and keeping the male in their a bit all the best breeders do that I just prefer not to listen to a naraccist (sorry no spell check) you have your ways but his fish seemed pretty dull and stressed plus fighter bettas.

#27 ·
I have had good luck keeping the male in most males I think know who their fry are lol :)
Update: so far no more luck with him I might start and try again with another male Psycho does not seem to get this new idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.