Betta Fish Forum banner

Tetra Heater in a 2.5 Gallon Minibow???

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Thunderloon 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I've been looking into getting heaters for my tanks, and I would like to know if anyone has experience with the Tetra submersible heaters in a 2.5 gallon Minibow. I don't have any petstores in my area, and being that WalMart is the only place where I can turn to purchase pet related items, I was thinking about purchasing this heater http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808 for both of my tanks. I could order heaters online, but I just prefer not to do that. So, if any one has input, it would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
It's a durable heater... and small.
It'll keep the temp on a 2.5 at 78-80 degrees. I use it to warm up my aged water which I prepare in unused 2.5 MiniBows.
I have much larger heaters in the other 2.5 MiniBow I have, I just set them neat the filter.
The Tetra you could even burry under the gravel in the back on the tank so it's out of sight.

#4 · (Edited)
agree with that

My no-frills tetra is the most reliable heater I have short of the Hydor five watt flats I use in my hospital bowls. In winter it's just right for a one gallon but in summer it over-heats the ones. Those are exceptionally predictable.

Do be careful about flexing the cord inside the housing, the heavy insulation on the cord can occasionally cause one to leak electrically if you really twist at it.

Betta perching advice says to stand it up or hide it completely, they do get fairly warm on cycle and I've never had a boy or girl who could resist sitting on them. Running the cord down under the rocks so just the heating tube sticks up beside the filter's intake can help even out the tank.

#6 ·
I dislike Tetra for small tanks. I have two of the heaters and they go nowhere near 78 degrees.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00106X8QG/ref=oss_product
I have that one, its relatively compact, you can get it for like 15$ with shipping on Amazon. Its adjustable too which I love.
I am glad to here you like these. I just ordered 4 of them. I haven't had much luck with the Tetra heaters from Walmart. I am just trying to heat a 1 gallon but they don't seem to get them warm enough. I am hoping these Elites will do the trick. :)

#10 ·
crackle pop

The black short fixed tetra heater and the hydor mini are both fairly rugged, just don't bury them against glass.

I wouldn't put any other brands of heaters under gravel.

One heater I've been thinking I should warn about is a Deep Blue product, its about kindergarten crayon in size but I have to warn that its way too strong for anything under a five and I even had that over-heat.

They are awesome for the buck tho, $10.00 at my Local Fish Gouge Store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.