469 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Pataflafla 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? Was in a 10 gal sorority, but now in 1 gal qt
What temperature is your tank? Sorority is kept at 81, qt is stable at 76
Does your tank have a filter? Sorority does, qt does not
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Sorority does, qt does not
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Used to live with 4 other females until parasites a few days ago

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? topfin color enhancing Betta Pellets, Hikari Krill
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times daily, fasting as necessary

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Sorority is once weekly, qt is daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Sorority is 75%, qt is 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She looks perfectly fine other than a parasite or egg poop
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, breathing heavily, not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Clean water, qt, and aq salt 1 tsp/gal. She was on General Cure for parasites but we did a 95% water change on the sorority after the dose was done when we noticed she was breathing heavily
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Fungus issue that took a week with aq salt at 3 tsp/gal to resolve, parasites at the end of last week.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Mature adult

Is she having a bad reaction to the General Cure? I would think she would have improved a little bit since she's been on straight water and conditioner (same brand we've always used) a day before the rest of the girls.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like she might have had a bad reaction to the meds, but I can't say for sure. I'd switch the AQ salt out for epsom salt since it sounds like what's going on is internal, and I would add tannins to the water to help make her more comfortable. Atleast add some stresscoat, that should help soothe her a little. Keep her in the dark, and keep her nice and quiet.

#6 ·
Poor Oak =( I don't think there's much else that can be done for her except keep an eye on her and wait it out. Do you have any tannins or stresscoat you can put in with her??? It might make her more comfortable.

#8 ·
Oak passed away about an hour ago. My sister and I were out at the store to get minced garlic to try and coax her into eating when we found her at the bottom of the tupperware.

She displayed a white belly and side as well as an almost completely white face when we found her. she was not bloated and looked perfectly healthy other than the color loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.