Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Spectrum pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets 2 x per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat, aq salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? losing more fins, looks slightly bloated now
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? biting fins more and now laying on bottom of tank/lethargic, breathing hard
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a little after last water change (lying on the floor - he would still come eat) but now is worse. He won't eat and struggles to swim
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Moved him to a QT tank. 1 gal filled halfway- so he doesn't have far to reach the surface. used new stress coat treated water, AQ salt and IAL leaf
Does your fish have any history of being ill? just biting fins
How old is your fish (approximately)?approx 5-6 months

Please see youtube video for behavior and appearance:

http://youtu.be/1T8hv55j0iw

See less See more
#2 ·
Good that you got him QT, however, I would switch him to Epsom salt 3tsp/gal, tannins and water changes since he is bloated....

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-let this steep for 30min and use this for 50% water changes every hour for 3 hours today and start 100% water changes tomorrow, water temp in the 75-76F range, dim lit, hold food today and offer small frequent meals tomorrow.....

#3 ·
OFL. Thank you for your help yesterday. I followed your instructions yesterday and today. He is showing some improvement - not struggling as much to swim and ate a couple of pellets. I think I'm going to leave him in an unfiltered tank long-term because the problem started when I added a filter back into his tank recently. I will leave him in the QT tank for a little while until I see his strength and personality are back and then ease him back into the 2.5 - fill it half way and see how he does.
It looks like he's a biter - which is fine, as long as he is comfortable and happy. But he's really bitten a lot off now or its fallen out so I'm concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.