Betta Fish Forum banner

Frog is Full of Parasites. AGAIN.

1K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  Indyfishy 
#1 ·
So, Frog, my sister's first female has once again been struck ill.

Not too long ago she recovered from a bout of fungus (probably, not sure but it cleared up with aq salt) and gained a bit of weight. My sister deemed her ready for a very slow transfer to sorority life.

that process consisted of floating in a tupperware container so she could kind of see the other girls for a little over a week. Then it went to sharing water with the sorority via tupperware where we would replace half of her water with theirs. After a few days of this, we moved her into the molly breeder so that she shared all of her water with them and so she could see them. All went smoothly with that process and she was allowed into the sorority, where no one really noticed that the barrier was gone between them and her.

She lasted, what, 5 days in with all the girls before getting sick again. Now, she has a history of getting ill whenever she sees another betta that isn't a male (she likes to flirt). And what she does is get a horrible infestation of internal parasites that further use all her resources, so instead of gaining much needed weight, she loses mass amounts of it.

She once again has parasites and this time, general cure isn't touching it. That's the medication that saved her life last go around with parasites. So, we treated her with 2 doses of general cure and tonight, I switched her to the hospital tank and Jungle Parasite medication.

She's the weight of the thinnest boy at the worst chain pet store.

Believe it or not, but she is still eating any new food put in with her.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 · (Edited)
We've had her for 4 months now, and as far as her diet, she won't eat anything else we offer except for bloodworms (which we don't have at the moment). She's refused pellets since her last bout with parasites despite trying to get her started on them again.

She's already on that dose of epsom salt and I will not redose her after tomorrow's water change to give her a break from medication. I'll also see if my sister can pick up those ingredients at the grocery store sometime soon.

I'll start her on some decaf green tea tonight since I can't get IAL or Oak leaves quickly.

#28 ·
I think Frog is adjusting well to the decaf green tea water. I'd say right now she's at about 75% switched over to it after multiple water changes over an 8 hour period. She shouldn't have any medication in with her at this point as well as no epsom salt. I'll restart the epsom salt tomorrow when I change her over to decaf green tea water completely.

I also tried to feed her a small fruit fly that I found in some rain water outside, but she had no interest. I cannot go and get any mosquito larvae because the lake by my town has had outbreaks of what everyone here affectionately dubbed fish herpes as well as being heavily polluted by boat traffic and general trash. I don't want to bring any of that into my home and expose my fish.

Right now I have a vase of rain water outside and I'm hoping some more bugs will get stuck in it by tomorrow so I can attempt live food again. Would fishing some bugs out of my pool after some serious rinsing work? I don't want to try something without knowing if it's safe or not.

Frog's also breathing easier now so I'm hoping it's a good sign.

#30 ·
Awwww no I am so sorry to hear about Frog!!!! I had really hoped that she would make it, she was such a fighter!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.