Betta Fish Forum banner

Emergancy: Male betta severely bloated and stress striped

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Arashi Takamine 
#1 ·
It's my baby Akira! He is not acting like himself, he's acting like he's struggling to swim and he looks like he swallowed a marble plus he has a pale blue stress stripe going across him. I changed both of their water this week mixing RO with tap and conditioner because I was worried as they were shedding their slime coats. I was going to slowly wean them off of them and acclimated them accordingly. Kai has been doing fine...

Akira my oldest and strongest...Downhill spiral. He seemed fine in the RO water and tomorrow I'm going to do a huge change with just RO water and re-condition him to it. I'm not going to take a risk because he can't handle it. Slime coat be damned!

I already added a half teaspoon of epsom salt to the tank and turned the lights off. I'm pulling an all nighter to ensure he's okay.

Everything ammonia, Ph, everything checks out perfect. He just is having this violant reaction to the water yet my other betta is fine....I can't lose my Akira not after all I did to ensure he survived....

Please guys I need help! Please don't click out of this and go to another thread I'm ready to cry here!

See less See more
#3 ·
I feed him about 11 of the New Life Spectrum small fish formula (They're barly 3 mms.) Once a day every day with one fasting day.

I'll try fasting him again with the epsom salt and keep you guys posted...I'm just so worried about him he buried himself into his bamboo roots.

That isn't Aki...He did swim up to eat but he was having a hard time grabbing the food.

I willl I'll make sure to tell my parents he needs the dark to get better...They don't question my choices when it comes to the boys.

I'll hang in there and make sure Akira does too! Thanks Caitlic-san...

#4 ·
I hope he feels better!I would fast him and float him in a betta cup or other container in his tank, that way he can come up for air easily. I would eventually work him up to 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon, premixed in a jug and do daily water changes on the floating container.

#5 ·
Unfortunatly I did try that once....It only made the betta in it more stressed out and worse. Akira's already in a 1.5 and able to get up for air I did a partial water change and I'm going to continue with 100% changes with the epsom salt...I really am worried he didn't finish his pellets... (Note: This is the same betta whom chewed a fly in half...)

#6 ·
Do any of his scales look raised?
It sounds like he may be a little blocked up. Some bettas wont eat if they can't poo. I have one guy that has problems with that quite a bit. Epsom salt works..Sometimes it can take a day or two though if that is what's going on.
What type of substrate is in your tank? If it is gravel it might be beneficial to float him in the cup or container so you can see if he is pooping or not.

#7 ·
No none of his scales look raised at all.

I do have gravel but it's black and easy to see when he and my other boy go...He hasn't really flared in awhile either...I usually try a more natural method when their bloated opposed to epsom salt which is getting them riled up and flaring...Sometimes it just works but it hasn't this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.