Betta Fish Forum banner

How to set up a fish tank!

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  kuklachica 
#1 ·
So, you've decided to set up a fish tank! A fishtank is like having a part of the ocean,the rice paddies of thailand, or part of a lake or stream with you in your own home! And might i add once you have one of these...your bound to get another! :-D

Buying your tank and the right supplies

First things first. You can't set up a tank without a tank or the right accesories. Different fish require different neccesities but, we are talking bettas. The things you will need for one betta are:

At least a 1 gallon tank (2 gallons+ work best)
A heater suitable for the tank size
A filter
A thermoeter (not the ones you stick on the outside of the tank the ones you put inside that attach with suction cups)
Gravel (one pound per gallon)
Decor! (plants can be fake or real but fake is best for uncycled tanks)

Here is a tip: Make sure the tank has a lid! Bettas just love to play a little game of superman and jump out of the tank so a lid is an abosolute must. No exeptions here, however you can make a lidby placing a screen (Like a window screen) above the tank if you wish.

Decor: The pantyhose test

Well we all love mr.betta's long flowy fins (and let's not leave out the lovely plakats!) but some plastic plants will rip them making him prone to infection, disease, and ultimately death. So silk plants are a great alternative apart from being a little more difficult to clean. If you will be using plastic plants bring a pair of pantyhose with you to the fish store! (sounds weird but believe me this technique works) To see if the plant is to sharp run it along the lenght of the pantyhose. If it snags it will most likely rip your bettas fins.

Setting up!

Well, you bought your supplies and are ready! So here is your reward!!! its a step by step guide on setting your tank up!

Step 1: find a place to set your tank. This area should not be near an AC and should be out of direct sunlight and away from where chemicals will be used. (example bathroom and kitchen) It should also be away from where excessive noise is made because fish have sensitive hearing and im sure they prefer that over being deaf.

Step 2: Rinse gravel and decorations thouroughly with cool water.

Step 3: Evenly distribute gravel in tank.

Step 4: Place decorations where desired. ( Tip: place taller plants and decor in the back and shorter in the front to make your tank look bigger!)

Step 5: Set up filter and heater BUT not before rinsing them with ,you guessed it, cool water! (by the way i said set them up not turn them on so dont plug them in just yet!)

Step 6: Fill the tank with water. When the tank is filled put in the amount of water conditioner neccesary.

Step 7: Turn everything on! (heater,filter,light if you want!)

....and presto! your done!

....not quite if your tank is 5 gallons or more then again i have heard that you cycle smaller tanks if you want:)

Cycling!

Well cycling is simply the process of letting ammonia rise then fall,nitrites rise then fall, ect. Your tank runs for 2 weeks to let this happen!

Fish in vs. Fishless

I personally do a fish in cycle. Add starter fish! (i used platys they produce enough waste and are nice and sturdy.) Then feed them and do the normal care you would do for 2 weeks. Then get yout water tested and if everything checks out you can add fish! If not do the same thing for another week!

To do a fishless cycle there are a few ways but here is one. Add liquid cycle ( you can buy this at your LFS) and put fish foos in every day as if you were really feeding fish. and after two week get your water tested if everything checks out then feel free to add fish! If not, do the same thing for another week and get it tested again.

Adding fish!

Well your tanks set up and cycled so now it's the moment we have all been waiting for... it's time to put in some fish! When you first get your betta he or she will be in a little cup. let him (Or her!) float in the tank for 10 minutes then dump half of the water out (not in the tank because its probably dirty!) and introduce tank water in the cup. Let him or her float for another 10 minutes like this and then set him free! The same procedure goes for other fish.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR NEW FISH!:-D

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you so much for this! It helps a lot! I do have a couple of questions though.

1. I received the Betta as agift, I feel overwelmed as it is - do I have to buy a starter fish just to set up a tank?

2. You said "Then get your water tested..." - How/Where do I get the water tested?

#3 ·
Thank you so much for this! It helps a lot! I do have a couple of questions though.

1. I received the Betta as agift, I feel overwelmed as it is - do I have to buy a starter fish just to set up a tank? Well if your tank is under 5 gallons then cycling is an option but if your tank is 5 gallons or more and your doing a fish in cycle then yes.

2. You said "Then get your water tested..." - How/Where do I get the water tested?
You can buy liquid test kits at your local fish store (dont buy strips they are notorious for being innaccurate) or your store may test your water for you. (Mine does for free)

#5 ·
Ok.. I just purchased a 2.5 gal tank. Have not done anything yet.. because I want to make sure I understand it etc.

So set up the tank, put in the water, give it time to get to temperature. I would like to put live plants in it.. so my decorations will be minimal for now, until I get them.

I can introduce the fish to the tank, but if I do, I still need to replace 50% every week - is that correct?

#6 ·
Ok.. I just purchased a 2.5 gal tank. Have not done anything yet.. because I want to make sure I understand it etc.

So set up the tank, put in the water, give it time to get to temperature. I would like to put live plants in it.. so my decorations will be minimal for now, until I get them.

I can introduce the fish to the tank, but if I do, I still need to replace 50% every week - is that correct?
That sounds right! :)

#9 ·
1. You need to let people know that a filter isn't needed unless you plan on cycling a tank.

2. People need to know what cycling is for. Pros, cons, etc.

3. They also need to know how frequently to change the tank water to keep ammonia from getting toxic if the tank isn't cycled.

#11 ·
i was just doing a basic guide on setting up a tank,not keeping it running. Sorry!

#14 ·
Honestly this does need to be a sticky! For people like me who know nothing about fish, who got one as a gift or because they thought Bettas were and easy first fish.

Could it be elaborated on? Probably - but me being a noob, I have no idea what areas would need it. And I have come back to this thread several times to double check things.

Anther Idea for a sticky would be - how to add live plants to your tank.. and the steps that follow..

Thank you Maryrox

#15 ·
Maryrox247 - i think you have done a ver y good job in this writing. i believe (if i am reading the posts correctly) that other members are simply encouraging you to continue with your effort and are suggesting more material that you could add to it.. i have been keeping for for quite some time and i found your explanation a very good one to refer to new fish keepers....
take the advice for what it is and add more if YOU wish to after all it is your work we are speaking of...
as for others who dont have either a positive contribution to add to the conversation or simply find it impossible to not be mean please opt to not post in this thread...
once complete it could well become a predominant fixture and i would hate to see negative comments continually embarrassing the poster who put them there....

#17 ·
Mary, are you able to make up a guide for the easiest/fastest way to do water changes on a cycled tank? I am a newbie and am trying to figure out how to do this in my head. I have many worries that:

1. The fish will jump out while I'm trying to siphon
2. If I'm supposed to shut everything off before doing so
3. If I mix de-chlorinator in a container, then just dump it in (or does it have to cure?)
4. How do I match temperature of water if my tank is heated and the fresh water (apparently isn't)

Ahhh so many questions! I would appreciate all and any help, should you decide to write up a guide. :-D Oh, and personally your thread was very helpful and informative.

#18 ·
1. The fish will jump out while I'm trying to siphon

-this is a possibility. It hasn't happened in my tanks (I have tanks from 3 gallons to 15) but it could. I usually take my guys out and put them in the cups they came in from the pet store. I also use empty jars or peanut butter containers, all of which work great. Just make sure you put a cover on those because they can very easily jump out.

2. If I'm supposed to shut everything off before doing so

- It is a good idea. I turn everything off (you could possibly burn out your heater with no water to heat). Plus the filter will have nothing to suck up. But don't leave it off for long because the bacteria in the filter can die without the proper oxygenation.

3. If I mix de-chlorinator in a container, then just dump it in (or does it have to cure?)

- It is better to cure it, but you don't HAVE to. I don't and haven't had any problems (but that's because I have cats and if I leave a 5 gallon bucket out over night I will have wet cats and a bucket full of cat hair).

4. How do I match temperature of water if my tank is heated and the fresh water (apparently isn't)

-Just add some warm water and try to get it to the same temp as the tank water.

BTW, How big is your tank?

Hope this helped!

#19 ·
Wow, thanks for taking the time to help me, kuklachica.......greatly appreciated! :)

My tank is 10 gallon, and it is going to be heavily planted. I'm not sure if it will be possible to catch my fish each time I need to siphon, but I am concerned he will jump out.

So basically I turn everything off and use the siphon to clean up debris and get the water out. Then I take a bucket, fill it with the necessary water, put conditioner in (probably stir it around and such) and then I can just dump in the tank? The other option would be to use gallon water containers and put conditioner in it, then have it sit overnight, but it wouldn't be the same temperature. :/ This is already sounding like such a hassle!

#20 ·
Sounds about right. My fish come to the surface when I'm near the tank (Mom??? Food?!?!?!) so I just dip in a container and scoop them out. And, yes, basically you're just sucking up all the waste from the bottom and changing out some of the water. I'm assuming your tank will be cycled, but not sure how many fish will be in there? But if you one have one betta (or even 3 in a divided 10 gallon) with many plants you probably only need to change 25% of the water per week.

It is a bit of a project (try this with 4 tanks!!!) but once you get in the swing of it, it's not that bad. Be sure to have a towel handy!! And you can even train your fish to swim into the cup by submerging the cup halfway and sprinkling food in it. Thankfully they are little piggies :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.