Betta Fish Forum banner

BettaLover1313's Art Journal

4K views 58 replies 5 participants last post by  BettaLover1313 
#1 ·
Yep, very unoriginal title :checkedout:. I decided to try my hand at some betta art since I've been wanting to do some art pieces with them (no clue why :lol:). Anyway, before the spamming of various art pieces, including a quickie of Merlin, here's a bit of my art background:

-4 years of high school art
-Piece featured in the Rockford Art Show (hard to get into)
-Winner of a themed contest at Highland Community College (see image below)

Other than those, I've pretty much just had art as a hobby and do it when I can ;-).

So here are the medias I've worked in before:

Colored Pencil:

Won the theme contest "Give an object emotion". The piece was titled Mournful Tractor.

A more recent piece, though I was still getting back into the groove of doing my art again. This was a contest entry on DA, it was of a deviant's dragon, named Myster.

One of my favorite (recent) pieces. I was inspired by a deviant on DA by one of their art works and I came up with an idea from it based on a world they'd created.

Most recent piece of the horses I work with, a gift for the owner who has allowed me to work with his horses.

Pastel:

Only piece I've done recently, even though I really like this media I find it very frustrating and I need to be in the right mindset to work with it.

Digital Art:

My most recent piece, though not shaded, I'm still practicing in this media.

A shaded piece, ironically both were for the same deviant on DA but for two different contests.

Oil Pastel

This is one of my absolute favorite medias to work in, and I really love it for underwater creatures!

Started experimenting with this media and branching out, doing birds instead of the usual fish!

Sculpture:

One of my favorite medias, but I sadly haven't been able to do it recently :cry:

One of a recipe box from high school.

Acrylic:

The media that I developed my style from, these pieces always made my teacher scratch her head.

Another of my art style, basically it's just an abstract background with colors and shapes representing the animal in the foreground, but, again, my teacher never seemed to understand this.

My most recent piece, I'm very fond of abstract as well :-D

Watercolor

I haven't had a lot of time to practice with this media, though I really want to! Will probably be the next one I experiment with!

I do photography was well, but no need to spam you all with art anymore ;-). I shall post my Merlin piece below this to separate it from this lot!

See less See more
#38 ·
Yep! She's always wanted one, so I decided to make her one :-D. Just finished glazing the bowls today!

Speaking of time in the studio, I went there today, and I finished a lot of glazing and threw some more "taco" bowls (I'm thinking of changing the name to something else, like brush bowls or something) but I threw two of them (aka I messed up on actual bowls XD). I was very sad when I messed up the one bowl that got turned into a taco bowl, since I accidentally cut the clay off the bottom portion, so folded it became! It was so pretty though when it was whole!

I, unfortunately, had to throw away one of my pieces. I'm hoping to remake it later, but it just wouldn't glue together :-(.

The ice cream scoop has been given another chance thanks to one of my friends saying to wait at least until after our Clay Sale in February.

I didn't get to work on the watercolor today due to how long I was in the studio & doing my homework, but hopefully tomorrow before I go to watch Frozen at the dollar movie night!

#40 ·
Once they get fired I shall post pictures :). Not sure how to do the plates yet while sticking with my mom's choice of colors & pattern though, but I'll figure it out...I also have to master tall cylinders too >.< still challenging to keep the top even without it going all haywire!

Went to the studio again today and threw three new pieces: a jar, a vase, and a...thingy (I don't know what to call it XD), it's one of my abstract pieces so who knows what it'll start being called! My taco bowls got the name around the studio and now it's stuck. Glad that I did find a use for it though so that I can tell people, "Oh, you know, they're brush bowls" :-D.

My tie-dye jar (someone else threw, and I'm glazing) should be done tomorrow. I will probably take a picture & share it here if the glaze turns out nicely (just of the glaze though, since I didn't throw the jar). So here's hoping it turns out!

The giraffe is still on my mind, I'm hoping with finals approaching, that I'll have more free-time after tomorrow, but who knows!

#42 ·
Thanks! That really brightens my day to hear that! :thankyou:

Well...didn't go into the studio today since I finished doing some more homework, but definitely tomorrow once my last class finishes! Not sure if I'll throw tomorrow or not (probably will), but I don't think I'll have a lot of homework for Thursday, so all should be fine!

#43 ·
So I'm hoping that the kiln will be unloaded tomorrow/ready to be unloaded so that I can get pictures of my mom's bowls since they went into the kiln yesterday and I was told it'd be ready to unload tomorrow sometime :blueyay:. I'm very excited if you couldn't tell :lol:.

Threw a plate (not sure if I like it) and another tiny jar. I'll be throwing more tiny jars since we're running out of throwing clay & there's definitely not enough to make another plate.

Anyway! Here's two pieces: one's an older piece and the other is a newer one:

Candlestick (older)

Swirly...sculpture...thing!

#45 ·
So...the pieces you've been waiting for!

A shallow dish!

One set of two bowls. The glaze on the outside didn't show through very well, I'm afraid :|, but the inside looks nice with the purple glaze I used!

Mom's bowls :-D

#47 ·
Thanks! :)

Decided that the giraffe watercolor is going to have to wait until I go back home Thursday as I want to do a certain technique and I don't have the materials to actually do it here in the dorm :|.

The good news is, I've started 7 pots for the Clay Club & Horticulture Club sale that will be going on in February. I have two pots almost done, two of the four circular ones, while I have yet to start the 3 heart base ones. The reason for the heart base ones? Our sale is Feb. 13th & 14th :-D. Yep! Valentine's Day! We're providing the gifts for the people who forget to grab their Valentines a gift ;-) lol.

#48 ·
Sorry I haven't posted, finals were this week, and even though I have pictures to upload for more ceramics, I wouldn't anything till the weekend.

#49 ·
Only one "new" ceramic today. The one of my tie-dye glazing didn't turn out well, so I'll have to get another picture later.

Not exactly pleased with how this turned out-our under glazes are as finicky as our glazes. I do like how the sky looks though.

#51 ·
Thanks!

#52 ·
Finished the watercolor yesterday, and though it didn't turn out exactly as planned, and I can see things that I could have done better, I'm quite pleased with it!

Bring the Dawn

#54 ·
Thank you! :-D

#55 ·
Very sorry that I haven't updated in awhile! I haven't done much apart from trying to get things glazed for the Clay Club sale on Feb. 13 & 14th. Right now I have a TON of pieces sitting, waiting to be fired, and only yesterday did I start some new pieces. I did glaze a couple pieces though only a couple are actually mine. The rest were scavenged from the throw-out pile of last semester (people didn't claim their stuff/haven't been back to the studio). So I got those glazed along with other pieces, as I said, but otherwise, I haven't had anything new to report on. Our adviser said that we'd have a firing once the test firing was done so sometime next week or the following I will have work-in-progress pictures...maybe!

#56 ·
Pieces should be ready to be glazed tomorrow and I threw 4 pieces today, and made a neat slab cookie jar :)

#57 ·
Finally some activity from me, right? lol

Fluffy Blue Duckling!

Black & White Taco Bowl/Brush Holder/Vase/Whatever!!!

Cobalt Taco Bowl

Blue Tornado

1st Attempt at a jar (small)

2nd Attempt at a jar (large)

Suns

Little Critters (left to right: Penguin, Hedgehog, Turtle, Platypus, Cat, Bear, and Spotted Pig)

I've got more stuff already glazed, so it all depends on when the next firing is ;-).

#58 ·
Some new pieces of mine:

Cobalt bowl

Light blue candle holder

My personal favorite, the Nuthatch drinking from a bowl.

#59 ·
Three new pieces that were fired in a reduction firing:

A bowl I threw on the wheel with our new, red glaze (sadly there won't be any more of it once it's gone).

Another piece made with the new, red glaze. The base is one of our standard glazes called Wasabi.

Last piece with the red glaze. Butterscotch yellow was dripped onto it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.