Betta Fish Forum banner

Preparing for my first betta breeding adventure

974 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Curlyfatbottom 
#1 ·
I'm going to start breeding bettas at the LFS where I work. I've never done this before and I'm the first to admit when I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read all of the stickies on this part of the forum.

Does anyone have further suggestions/tips/things to be really careful about?

#3 ·
Go and research the IBC "Forms" of the fish you are prepared to breed. Know what your fishes weaknesses are and know what you will do to accomodate for it's weaknesses.

#4 · (Edited)
Sounds fun to do it for work. And I would pick a method you prefer and perfect it any time I try to use a different method then mine it fails miserably. Also get growout in different sizes I have a ten gal and thirty gal so smaller spawns dont scour big tanks for food. Which can lead to overfeeding or to much rotting food. The more learning the better and never stop. But anything in particular your wondering about?

#6 ·
Thanks y'all. What's the best way to go about finding a breeder in my area?

#9 ·
While you are thinking and researching...when the information says that it takes a LOT of time and effort to raise fry, BELIEVE IT. Hours and hours of time, and lots and lots of effort to keep the fish happy and healthy. Whatever amount of time you think that will be--double it. OR triple it. Do you want to devote that much time to your fish? Will you have that much time at work?

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!

#10 ·
While you are thinking and researching...when the information says that it takes a LOT of time and effort to raise fry, BELIEVE IT. Hours and hours of time, and lots and lots of effort to keep the fish happy and healthy. Whatever amount of time you think that will be--double it. OR triple it. Do you want to devote that much time to your fish? Will you have that much time at work?

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!
^A+, unless you have a very small spawn.

#11 ·
Small spawn n a big spawn u do the same amount of work while they are in the fry stage
The only different is that u feed the bigger spawn a little more then a small one
But when they start to fight n u have to jar them up
The work load change a lot between the two spawn
More fish that u have to feed individually
Plus more jar to change water 2-3 days n clean every week

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.