Betta Fish Forum banner

Plants for a tank that moves (college)

919 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
So I have a 5 gallon tank with a filter and everything. It's housing a betta and a snail. I currently have fake plants because I feel that they're easy to move when I come home for summer and Christmas break. But I really like the look of real plants. Are there any plants that are fairly easy to care for and easy to move? Also, would sand (as a substrate) be too much of a hassle if I'm moving my tank around like this?

Thank you!!

#2 ·
Personally I would go with Anubias, Java Fern and other plants that don't need to be planted so they can be moved without disrupting their growth/root system. Other choices would be Anacharis, Hornwort, and other plants that are easily floated. Floating plants like Duckweed, and Amazon Frogbit are also good choices.

I don't think I would want to bother with substrate if I had to move the tank frequently, but I don't have personal experience with this type of situation
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Was just gunna agree, go with something you can attach to driftwood like java fern or anubias. Java moss is easy too and great for your betta. You can just toss in a glob of it to free float around or attach it to driftwood.

Moss balls are also pretty hard to kill. If you go with sand I think people recommend getting a certain kind of snails. Those little pointy shell ones I think I just can't remember the name of them *scratches head* I am getting old lol.

Not sure how easy sand would be to move.... I would keep a bare bottom tank too in your case with driftwood, but that's personal choice like people already said.

Any plant you get you should probably quarantine before adding it to your tank when you first buy it though. I learned the hard way once. ;) I am a full believer in java moss though, if you can find some, snatch it up. It's GREAT and magical stuff.

GL :)

#5 ·
Thanks everyone! I think I might go ahead and get some Java moss. I've always liked the look of it. I might get an Anubias plant as well. I'm glad there are some easy plants to deal with and that live plants are possible with my situation!

Also, I have gravel in my tank and I've always left it in there when I travel. The only real issue with it is how heavy it makes the tank when I carry it to my car, which isn't too horrible. Thought I'd share how I do that!

#6 ·
Twilight, I think the "sand snails" are Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I would also second the recommendation for the moss ball. I also like my banana plants!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.