Betta Fish Forum banner

Clumped fins - Help!

902 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  givemethatfish 
#1 ·
This is my first post... My betta seems to be sick and I am at a loss as to what it could be or how to treat it.

I have a Tetra 1.5 gal cycled, planted tank. I have filter and keep the temp around 78F.

The tank was cycled before my first fish, who died of a very strange disease after living in the fish tank for a good 3-4 months. After Tuna died (the fist betta), I did an 80% water change and kept the tank running without any fish for a month and a half. Two weeks ago I got my second betta, Marlin.

After the initial cycle and after Tuna died and there was no fish in the tank, these little critters proliferate. My google search suggests they are seed shrimp, so I took it as a sign of good water quality and overall health of the tank. As soon as I put the bettas in their population decreases since the bettas really go for them. Also, the plants in the tank (if at all important) are a type of cryptocoryne and java moss. Both plants are healthy and growing, which I also took for a good sign.

I did a water change on Friday and came in to work today to find his tail and the ends of his dorsal and anal fins all clumped together. He still eats, and is not totally lethargic, but he is spending more time at the bottom than when I first got him. His color seems unchanged, but he does dart from now and again and seems uncomfortable.

I have shined a light on him and don't see any gold specs and he doesn't appear to have ich either (at least not visibly). He came from Petco and seemed the healthiest of the bunch when I picked him up.

I really don't want to lose another fish... Please help me diagnose and treat him. :-(

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm, I'm no expert, but it sounds a lot like what my boy, Wraith, had. The ends of his split tail, as well as his anal fin, kind of twisted and "fused" together. I was able to clear it with some aquarium salt. I dosed at 1 teaspoon per gallon. I mixed it with some makeup water (that had my water conditioner already in it so I wasn't adding tap water to my tank) in a cup to make sure it was dissolved. Then I added the water slowly, over the course of an hour to help him acclimate. I also did 50% water changes every couple of days. Not only does that help removed the salt slowly, but it will keep the water clean as well.

Someone else may have a better solution, but that's all I've got. I hope your boy gets better soon. :)

#3 ·
Ok, i can do that... I just have so many questions!

What's the difference between table salt and aquarium salt besides the Iodide? I have some Sea salt here with no iodide added. Is that ok to put in the tank?

How soon should i decide to go for a more aggressive form of treatment? Should I take him out and treat him separately? What if whatever is making him sick is still in the water column or living in the tank... how do i get rid of whatever it might be without killing everything else already in the tank? Or should that be a mute point as long as I can save the fish....

Thanks a lot for your reply!

#4 ·
I would NOT use table salt or sea salt. Everything I have read during my research as well as my time here has said to not use table salt. The aquarium salt is a bit safer for your betta. You can usually get some at your local pet store for fairly cheap.

I personally treated him in his home tank with no problem. You can certainly put yours in a quarantine tank if you're worried. Before you try an aggressive form of treatment, try a week or so with one dose (for your tank, it would be about 1 and a 1/2 teaspoon because it is a 1.5 gallon tank). You should do at least a 50% water change every two days or so to help keep his water clean. Clean water helps promote the healing. :)

As for whatever is causing it, I'm not sure. I did not clean my tank rigourously. I just continued with my usual routine after his fins cleared up and began healing. I have not been having problems since.

Again, this is just personal opinion/ experience. And you're very welcome. :)

#5 ·
Got it. I'm heading out to purchase the aquarium salt right now.

In the meantime, I just wanted to say he looks like he has a film on him... kind of cloudy looking. He still eats like a little piggie, though!

Thanks again Ember. I will keep you posted on how this whole thing progresses.

#6 ·
Great! You'll be glad you added aquarium salt to your betta medicine arsenal. It works wonders. :)

As for the film... I have no idea what that might be. Again, water changes are extremely important. Keeping the water clean and conditioned is essential.

Not a problem. :) Hope everything goes well!

#7 ·
Here are a few pics.... Let me know what you think.

Oh, and as for water changes: i do at least one a week, usually on Thursdays. I add a pinch of salt (though I have been using sea salt :-? ) and test right before each water change. I use dechlorinated tap water. The only think i can think of that I might have to change is that I stir up the gravel to get the debris up and scoop water with a cup instead of vacuuming it. Is that really bad?? I also change the cartridge tingy inside the filter at least once every 2 or 3 months.

#8 ·
I think the aquarium salt will help with that, from the looks of the pictures. However, as for your water changes, I would recommend not using salt with every water change. The salt should be used to treat ailments, but not as a long term additive to your water, if that makes sense. Just fresh, clean and conditioned water can work wonders for a betta's health. :)

I might also increase the amount of water changes you do. You might want to consider doing two water changes a week, perhaps a 50% on one day and a 25% on another day. A smaller tank, even with a filter, will require more water changes because it acquires the waste faster. And no, it's not bad. Getting up the debris is important, so that method works just fine. :)

Again, this is just my opinion and some knowledge I have gain through research and from my time here on the forums. Hope this helps!

#10 ·
I have some filter sponge inside the filter that I just rinse in tank water and put back in.... I thought I had to change the filter every so often because the carbon thingy gets saturated and will no longer absorb excess.... umm... whatever it is that it absorbs. Am I just supposed to leave it in?

#11 ·
You don't really need the carbon at all unless you are using it specifically to do something like remove medications. Just squish another sponge in there instead of that, and you won't have to worry about buying replacements. Carbon's useful life is so short anyway (debated, but it's really like 2 weeks). There's nothing really super wrong with using carbon, but it's not needed, and by replacing that cartridge, you're removing any good bacteria that have grown on it.

The natural biological balance in your tank will take care of most of what carbon would do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.