Betta Fish Forum banner

Help!! *urgent!!*

2K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
Okay, I think my little betta doesn't have too much longer...

I live in residence and I had a betta, and he was happy. But then the holidays came and I had to take him home and the weather wasn't too good outside. So, I had him in the little container that you get the betta fish in and the ride was a little bumpy. When I got home, I prepared his tank again and made sure everything was good, but he hasn't been acting the same. And now I think he's about ready to go for he looks like he's almost suffocating at the bottom of the tank. Previously, he didn't look to good since I brought him home, but i would tap a few times and he'd surface to the top like crazy for air. Today he didn't eat and he really doesn't look to good and I'm afraid he's going to be dead in a few hours. I know it's probably too late, but is there ANY way I can help him??

thank you

#4 ·
I've had him since September
Not sure on the tank size...but it's not very big.
Not filtered or heated, but that didn't cause a problem previously
And yes I did use new water to setup the tank and currently I'm thinking that's the main problem. I changed the water in the tank again with water that would be more like the water from my residence (not sure why I didn't use it before...)
And I'm not sure what you mean by "cycle".

#6 ·
First off, I want you to read these.
Betta Care: http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish/must-read-general-betta-care-faq-14871/
Cycling: http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish/new-aquariums-cycling-questions-19612/#post156131

Secondly...

Did you use a water conditioner/dechlorinator on the water? The water, also, being uncycled, is probably full of bad things like ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Be sure to do water changes every day, since it seems like it is a very small container.

If he is lying on the bottom, that is a sign of being too cold or being too weak because of bad params. You need to upgrade and purchase a heater and filter.

#7 ·
Okay, so I've come to the conclusion then judging by your comments that it definitely is the water and the temperature that is causing the problem. I do have a conditioner for the water and used it the first time, but I also used the drinking water the first time which very different from the water I've used previously (just normal tap water).
But here's another question...
after changing the water and putting the conditioner in, how long will I need to wait before it's safe to put the fish back in?

#9 ·
Alright well I've done everything I possibly can with what you've told me and what I have here. I've changed the water with better water and conditioned it, plus making the temperature a better temperature. I don't have a heater, so I've compromised by stacking a pile of books to put the tank on that is right under a light that is giving off some heat...I hope that'll do the trick for now. He's in the tank now, and his behaviour hasn't changed yet (but I guess I can't expect so much so quickly). I guess it's just a waiting game and hopefully he starts to recover with the better conditions.
Thank you for all the advice!

#10 ·
well actually, I don't know if my "compromises" are really working. though the light is giving off heat, the water is just turning colder again, even though it was at a comfortable temperature. He's also going on his side which I would assume isn't a good thing. I might have been too late in trying to fix my mistake, but we'll see I guess. I don't have a chance to purchase a heater today so I'll have to make do.

#11 ·
Okay well, he's not getting any better so far...and he's pretty top heavy. I mean, if I move the tank a little or something, he MAY be able to swim around and he would go up for air. But then he'd eventually go back to the bottom and look pretty ill. Half his body keeps floating upwards as his head holds him down and I'm assuming that's a bad sign. I feel like it's too late to save him unless there's a way to fix that.

#13 ·
not from what I can see, but I can look more thoroughly.
I just tried feeding him a little bit again (he wouldn't eat earlier today), and after coming up for air frantically (as per usual), he noticed the food and just started eating away. He could swim around normally and it seemed like nothing was wrong.
Then, when he finished he went back down to the bottom and basically went vertical because his body would just float that way, then it went to its side somewhat and he looked dead again.

#14 ·
Sounds like swim bladder disorder. What do you feed him and how much? Have you seen him poop lately? A lot of times bettas in cold tanks (they're body is not metabolizing nearly as fast as a betta in a tank heated to say 78 degrees) will get constipated from overfeeding. Then, when they bloat up their swim bladder is compressed. The swim bladder is what makes fish float and swim straight and evenly through the water. It keeps them in balance. If the swim bladder is depressed they usually either float on their side or sink.

I would try fasting him for a day, then feeding him a tiny piece of a mashed up, deshelled, and thawed pea. Daphnia (you can get it frozen at most pet stores) is actually better if you can get him to eat it (mine won't).

Trying this and upgrading his living environment will definitely help save him. Good luck!

#16 ·
Another thing about his appearance is I noticed his body is kind of curved "permanently". But right now I'm rooting on the fact that it could be the swim bladder disorder (hopefully). I can try posting pictures up soon so it all makes a lot more sense...but SBD does sound pretty accurate so far.

#19 ·
Wow I keep posting on this thing like crazy...but anyways..
Good news! i just checked up on him again (I can't sleep because I've been thinking about him too much!) and he was at the top this time, looking pretty happy!!
He was doing the usual floating at the bottom deal, but he was starting to look better already! I've taken a pile of photos of him to show that he's feeling better=). I am feeling more and more confident that the little guy will pull through and be a happy little fish again! I'm so happy right now =D

Thank you for all the help you guys have given me to help save him!
Here's the beautiful guy that you've helped...
Meet *ahem* "Luigi" Linguini Karsten Warhol...but you can call him Linguini =)

Sitting with his mouth wide open..a common occurrence today..

Getting some air.

This is just a cool photo I think..

Almost better =)...isn't he precious? I love him =)

So far there seems to be some good signs that he'll recover which makes me really happy =). He's too wonderful to go so early.

Anyways have a good night everybody!

#21 ·
Thank you Steve.
I'm feeling more confident this morning that he's going to be okay. There even appears to be some bubbles appearing on the top of the tank =). He mostly is acting like his normal self again this morning, so I don't know if it was SBD or not but I'm just going to hold back on the food for now. I don't think I'll give him the pea unless there's absolute no harm done because of that. He seems to be doing a lot better in that situation and I'm thinking he'll be okay

#25 ·
That's great that he is feeling better! It did look like he was a little bloated, so a fast would help that. Another thing that probably brought this on was the sudden change to the new water. Fish are very sensitive to water parameters such as pH and hardness levels, so all changes should be done gradually. To avoid this in the future, float the bag with the fish in it in the new tank for 15 minutes to let the temperature adjust, then open the bag, remove 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and replace it with the new water (depending on initial water volume). Do this every 15 minutes until the fish is in all new water. Then, they should be properly acclimated when put into the main tank. I usually acclimate new fish for at least 1 hour, and I take up to 2.5 hours with sickly ones. You can also set up a drip line, but there is usually not enough water in those little betta containers to do this. However, if you want to know how I'd be happy to explain it to you. This is the method that I use with most of the new fish I get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.