Betta Fish Forum banner

can Bettas tolerate 60F temp?

4K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  AlgarveblueVT 
#1 ·
I have recently come back from holiday, and whilst I was away i visited a fish store and asked for a heater for a 2.5gal fish bowl- the lady sold me a Hydor under gravel preset heater and told me that it was good for up to 20L
(this was also stated on packet) I had asked her up to what temp does it go at which she told me it would be suitable for that size tank.

knowing that bettas like warmer water 72-78, i thought this would be ok but after setting it up and running it - it onlys heats the water to 60-61F

He is not so lethargic now,but I am hoping he will be ok for a time till I decide to get another.

also tested water and found the following:
Ammonia= .25ppm
Ph=7.6

I do 100% water change every week

#31 ·
heaters

I want to look ands watch Grumpy, I think I am going to have to get an extra heater, at the moment I have place the bowl on a towel and he was swimming around this morning and when I fed him he ate,so thats good.

#33 ·
@Kman

I cant get a 15W nano heater locally, thats why I am searching still online

#34 ·
Right. So yeah, if you're looking at double the normal price (due to import taxes), instead of $20 you're looking at $40, worst case (more likely $30, I'd think)? An annoying amount of money to spend on a small heater, to be sure, but hopefully $40 isn't going to break the bank. It's not like we're talking hundreds of dollars here.

#35 ·
Good news I have just received my 50W nano heater with controllable temp so temp between 72 and 78?

Reactions: Hallyx
#37 ·
will do

#38 ·
So not to happy with new heater
put it to 23-25C/ 73-77F , but my thermo only shows around 68F
Heater has turned itself off.

#39 ·
Mind you the bowl has been refilled and checking again the heater has come back on again.
temp is slowly creeping up

Ammonia test= 0.25ppm
Ph= 7.6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.