Betta Fish Forum banner

Imported Betta

648 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FirstBetta 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally surrendered and bought a fish on Aquabid. I had been hesitant because the fish I wanted were from offshore, I assumed that I'd have a nightmare of red tape to navigate.

From this one experience I found that I was wrong, very wrong. I found the breeder to be helpful and honest, he or she let me know what was going on and completed the transaction quickly. When I was advised of the winning bid, I contacted the transhipper to learn what I needed to do but got no answer. However, when the fish was shipped to her she communicated everything necessary. So the purchase was clean and easy, I got the fish in less than a week after payment, well packed and lively. The only problem was that the shipping costs were about 3 times the purchase price of the fish but I expected that from the get go.

Since this was my second betta (Petco variety for the first) I am able to compare the personalities of the two fish. I had been concerned that the first was very laid back and largely ignored me except when feeding, never flared even when provoked. After seeing the new guy, no name yet, I realized that the first's fins were so thick and heavy that he was not capable of spreading them even if he wanted to. The new guy's fins are always spread and open. I'll post pictures of both very soon.

The new guy hasn't started to eat yet but is very active exploring his 5G home. I used Dr. Tim's One and Only bacteria to prepare the tank because I didn't have enough time to cycle the tank before he got here. I fed the BB with Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride for a couple of days as Dr, Tim advises. Works! Ammonia and nitIte = 0 and nitrAte = 40. Before I released him I did a 50%WC, NitrAte now = 20. Will do another tomorrow to get the NO3 to about 10.

I wish the One and Only was able to be stored for a longer time, I'd keep a bottle on hand for emergencies.

PS: If you want the breeder's name PM me.

See less See more
#4 ·
I've had him for at least 6 months and his fins have not changed at all in that time.

I'll try to get pictures of both tomorrow. I'm still learning to use my digital camera so it is hard to get acceptable shots.

#6 · (Edited)
Update: About a week after installing him in his new home I noticed that about half of his tail fin was gone. He didn't seem to be biting his tail. SO! Panic time.

I gave him 1/2 dose of tetracycline, 1/4 tsp salt and dose of Stresscoat and did a 50% WC. As an aside, I don't particularly like netting my fish so I hesitate to net, so I only do so in real extreme circumstances. Anyway, a couple days later I did another 50% WC. I've been doing weekly 50% WC. since then. His tail is growing back and he looks to be thriving. I use Prime for all my tanks.

His is a copper/blue mustard BF I think, anyway the blue rim of his tail has started to return, whoopee!!!

I have to apologize to you all. My vertigo returned and it knocked me out of activity for a week and I had a bad dream (I dreamt that my youngest son came to me and told me my only granddaughter had died). It woke me, I couldn't get back to sleep which ended up upsetting me so I didn't do much of anything for the next week even if it wasn't true. I haven't done much of anything since then. So I haven't used my digital camera. I will get some pictures. I haven't forgotten my promise to get pictures, so please be patient, I'll get them.

I also suspect that the water in the bag in the shipment package may have contributed to the tail fin dieoff. It was small enough that I couldn't net him after acclimation so I just dumped him and most of the water in the bag into his tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.