Betta Fish Forum banner

Anybody have a freshwater clam?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rickey 
#1 ·
So I just discovered this: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=1075+1642&pcatid=1642

It says they are a filter feeder, so that should mean they are peaceful towards shrimps and small fish right? lol When I first thought of a clam I pictured it clamping down on my fish.

I'm considering adding one to my tank and I haven't even really begun research yet, but I'm curious does anybody here keep one? Seems like a good betta tank mate. They even help filter the water, though I wonder what their own bio-load is.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Oh I know what a filter feeder is, back from choosing my shrimp. I should know better that they are in fact peaceful as far as feeding goes, I actually imagined them clamping down on fish and shrimp before I read about their eating habits (imagining those pet store crawfish). A better defense would be just to pull inside their shell.

I do believe the way my tank is set up it could support an average filter feeder. Just one look a thread on another forum though suggests the clams have really specific requirements, not necessarily just due to being a filter feeder. I mean bamboo shrimp are filter feeders and they are pretty straight forward. I'm getting conflicted information regarding the clams. I have only been looking into them for the past 10 minutes though.

#4 ·
I had one for a day. After I researched them I brought him back to the store. I don't recall the specifics but the gist was if he dies something is released and it could kill the fish. I couldn't get anyone with a fish tank to take him after I told them what I read. Best advice? Research it first.

PS the fish store agreed with what I said than put him back in a betta bowl. For some reason they don't have them any more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.