Betta Fish Forum banner

Guppies with a betta?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MattsBettas 
#1 ·
Hey y'all, it's been a while. :)
I have really been wanting to set up my old 20 gallon hexegon tank. I still have my 3 year old betta, and I was pondering the compatibility of him with guppies. I really love guppies and was hoping to keep them for pets, but will males bug my betta? He is usually pretty passive, I haven't seen him flare in months, he seems to be slowing down and getting calm. I would like to have him in the tank because I'm wanting him to have more room to swim and some positive co-habitation with other fish. What do you think?

#2 ·
I know I always tell people to steer clear of guppies and bettas mixing. Guppies have the flashy colors and tails that bettas do and your betta may think they are just strange bettas and become aggressive with them. I know several people who have successfully kept bettas with neons or zebra danios instead. I personally like neons.

#4 ·
Oh really? That's interesting. I've read lots of things saying not to put them together but I've never done it myself. I wonder if anyone else here have had any luck with that mixture.

#6 ·
The "fact" that bettas and guppies are incomparable because guppies have flashy is one of those annoying pieces of parroted information... Bettas WILL NOT mistake different species for other bettas, and, in the majority of cases, do fine with them. If the fish doesn't get along with guppies it probably won't get along with other fish either.

Zebra danios need lots of swimming space... 30g is the suggested minimum.

Make sure you quarantine guppies for at the very least two weeks (three or four is better), as they are particularly susceptible to columnaris... Something you definitely don't want in your tanks.

#7 ·
Well that's good to know. I've even read on here that bettas and guppies are incompatible. But like I tell people it always depends on the betta, I know my past betta Tiberius would flare and attack anything different in his tank until he felt it knew he was boss. Where as my past betta Eugene was afraid of everything.

So what other types of tropical fish would you suggest Matt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.