Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta compatibility

903 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sugarunicorn 
#1 ·
I have recently gotten a three gallon tank and I want a betta in it. It would be a halfmoon or a king. In the tank I also want two cory catfish. Is this a good mix? Will there be enough room?:-?

#2 ·
Generally corys prefer good substrate space to swim in. My friend has a 125 gallon and the cories flit all over the tank, and soooo fast as well!

Unfortunately a 3 gallon does not having an acceptable swimming space for such an active fish. Additionally, corys prefer to be in schools of 6 or more, sometimes 4 is acceptable.... but even 2 is pushing way past the bioload limit of your tank :( Usually for corydoras species, a 10 gallon for 5 or so is barely acceptable >.<

I do reallly small tanks myself. so instead of cramming lots of fish in a tiny tank (I've been there too!) I turned to plants. Plant collecting was fascinating to me and i can cram as many plants as I want in the tank!

ofcourse it is not as exciting to some as a couple of fish swimming around. But never fear, there are still shrimps and snails to choose from!

Personally for snails, I love the nerite snail, they are colorful and will not reproduce.

For shrimps I would go for an amano shrimp. Some bettas will be very aggressive to other inhabitants and will probably hound a shrimp to death, or nip at a snail's antennas, but the vast majority of bettas will leave them alone :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Also keep in mind that if you get a king betta, it will require more room than a halfmoon and thus you're going to need to adjust the normal considerations regarding tankmates accordingly. They can grow significantly larger. Personally, I wouldn't keep a king in anything under a 5 gallon.

Pygmy corys are a no-go in under 10 gallons and in groups less than 6, the larger varieties will require even more room -- 30 gallons and up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.