Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #91 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
urg okay guys this thread should be closed. permanently. and any thread like it taken down. this will always become "you're wrong" and "no, YOU'RE wrong" bull argument. this is not what this site is for, to argue with each other. it's to be informed, to opinionate, and work with what you HAVE. some people can only have a 1 gallon, and I know many on here who have wonderful and healthy fish in 1 gallons. this thread has gotten so off track from what the OP was saying about SELLING bowls.

ON the real subject, if the 1 gallons didn't showcase goldfish, it'd be so much nicer. but everything nowadays is profit. good luck with a petition, but try influencing people around you without being pushy (not that you would be :) )

this thread has turned into an insult to breeders and responsible owners who yeah, may not have a 2.5 gallon or a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon... just saying... and I for one will not give this stupid controversial bull any more attention. it'll always go foul.
I feel you are using a rather negative tone. If you take what I say as an insult that is unfortunate because I was not attacking anyone personally, just expressing my concern and opinion on the matter.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #92 
MrVampire181

My last post here, if you wish to do this. DO IT. The facts we have presented show 1 gallon is okay for keeping bettas however you have the upper hand in saying 5 gallons is optimal (I 100% agree, I love my five gallons). Good luck :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #93 
carzz

The way I look at it, in an ideal world, there would be no 1 gallon bowls, or 10 gallon tanks. All fish would be in the rivers and the seas. Buts, we all live here and we can all agree on one thing: our world is far from ideal. When I see someone with a 1 gallon bowl that has a nice set up, Clean water and a heater, and above all, a happy fish? I praise them. Is is not better then those god awful cups they come in?
And when you also look at the bigger picture, have you ever seen those disgusting turtle and goldfish keychains? Compared to those, a half gallon is not so bad. But would I ever purchase one? No. However, I just think of what life might be like for some bettas and like to think that they have life pretty good. That's all :)
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #94 
Oldfishlady

Everyone has the right to their opinion....A healthy debate with diverse opinion is a good thing as long as we keep it friendly.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #95 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzz View Post
The way I look at it, in an ideal world, there would be no 1 gallon bowls, or 10 gallon tanks. All fish would be in the rivers and the seas. Buts, we all live here and we can all agree on one thing: our world is far from ideal. When I see someone with a 1 gallon bowl that has a nice set up, Clean water and a heater, and above all, a happy fish? I praise them. Is is not better then those god awful cups they come in?
And when you also look at the bigger picture, have you ever seen those disgusting turtle and goldfish keychains? Compared to those, a half gallon is not so bad. But would I ever purchase one? No. However, I just think of what life might be like for some bettas and like to think that they have life pretty good. That's all :)
Me too. I would love it if all fish could be in their natural habitats, hence why I only adopt fish and don't buy from petstores. Yes you can adopt fish :o! Petfinder and other sites have fish you can actually adopt from people that are looking to get rid of their fish. It actually makes me happy that some people choose not to just flush them down when they didn't want them anymore. I couldn't possibly fly the fishies to the tropics and let them all go, but I can certainly give those who are looking for a new home, a good home here.

And yes you are right, there are certainly worse environments for a fish to be in than a 1 gallon bowl that is well maintained, but to me, that's still not a viable reason to have a 1 gallon.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #96 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Everyone has the right to their opinion....A healthy debate with diverse opinion is a good thing as long as we keep it friendly.......
I agree, though I felt as some were starting to get a bit edgy. I try to keep mature and polite, without resorting to personal attacks, like "you are a bad person" for this or that. That's just not the way to go about anything :P
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #97 
BeckyFish97

I'm sorry I'm now not posting anymore on this thread as it will get nowhere, I have to agree with the others 1everaspirit, the way you're going about this is rather aggressive, and I wont be party to that
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #98 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
I'm sorry I'm now not posting anymore on this thread as it will get nowhere, I have to agree with the others 1everaspirit, the way you're going about this is rather aggressive, and I wont be party to that
I really don't see how I'm being aggressive. I'm not attacking anyone personally, just sharing my opinion on the matter. I always try to keep polite and mature in my responses. If people take things the wrong way or choose to take what I say as a personal attack to them (maybe that also reflects some sort of feeling of guilt? ._. Could be a good thing and lead people to make changes, who knows?), I feel like that's more of their doing o_o

I must say though, I have spent a whole lot of time on this thread. I think it's time I get off and go do something else xD Get some exercise or something.

Please take care everyone. And I hope, Sivan, that you are successful with starting your petition. :)

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #99 
KadenJames

I went into a pet store one time to purchase a Tiger Oscar for my boyfriend, replacing his who recently passed away. My browsing of the oscars was abruptly stopped by a pet store associate, who approached me arms crossed and firmly asked "Are you planning on purchasing one of these oscars?" A little put off by his uppity tone of voice, I said "Yes... I am. Thank you- " "Well what sized tank do you own?" He interrupted. I turned to face him and said "Well, its actually for my boyfriend, and he has a 125 gallon aquarium. Is that big enough for your approval, sir?" (Now, I'm not ever a rude person, but after a long day of everything going wrong, I wasn't exactly in the mood to be put on trial before buying a fish.) His expression changed immediately and he proceeded to silently scoop out my Oscar and letting me leave.

The more I thought about it, the less angry I was at this associate. His stern and defensive attitude, although a bit obnoxious, would stop any novice fish owner for picking an Oscar and keeping it in a tiny, unheated bowl. The oscars they sell at stores are babies, and not a lot of customers know just how large they grow (easily over 14 inches.) Those who do try and buy them are not only confronted with defensive sales clerks, but can also read the tag below the fish that reads "Intermediate level, 75 gallon + heated filtered tank."

If only the store associates would have the same level of protection over the bettas. The world would be such a better place for them. I honestly don't believe that they have a dislike for bettas or don't care about them, they are simply not informed of their proper care and start blabbing what they think they know about the species- and this is where the common assumption comes from that bettas are hunkey dorey in unheated tiny bowls. I think if your petition gets enough attention, and enough people forward it on to friends / family, THAT many more people are now aware. THAT many more people will refuse to buy a teeny tiny home for their Betta.

And, who knows, maybe someday in the near future when I go into a pet store to buy a new Betta, an uppity and defensive sales clerk will demand to know what kind of home I have planned for it. And to that, my only reply will be a huge grin. :)
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #100 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, how did I miss this wonderful thread? Lol. I keep my bettas in 1 to 2.5 gallon containers. No I'm not abusing my fish as was told to me by someone from a forum that shall remain anonymous. I feel that if a fish is unhappy it will show it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote