Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #111 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Personally I see nothing wrong with a gallon tank to house a betta fish. I keep most of my betta's in mason jars and they are under a gallon. I do daily water changes and my fish are happy and healthy. I have seen no depression or any kind of negative effects of keeping my fish in these small containers. Since my betta's come from huge 55 gallon grow out tanks, and then move to mason jars, I think I have the experience to know if less space has a negative effect on a betta's personality. After practicing this method repeatedly I can say confidently that the amount of swimming space is not what determines the health or happiness of your betta fish. Water cleanliness, nutrition and social interaction is what determines your betta's moods and health.

Personally I think it's wrong to impose your personal beliefs on others. I will not sign a petition that infringes on other people's ability to make their own choices. Having a betta in a one gallon is not wrong, having old water is wrong. The issue is keeping clean water, not keeping a larger container.

This world is full of all kinds of people and there is enough room for all of us to practice our own beliefs without imposing ourselves on others.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #112 
sunlight

+1
I personally think it matter of experience. I have 4 bettas now. I do only 100% water changes which some people think it stressful. And my bettas never even get sick yet. My youngest betta i bought 06/11. Other i bought about 2.8 years ago. They in 2 gall thought.

And now my 4th ,new betta in one gall for four weeks and doing great. I do 100% water changes every 2 days and I don't see any sign of the stress.

Just like someone wrote bettas get sick in one gall or in 10 gall. With 100% water changes or if you will cycle. I also think some bettas more hardy then other, just like human. Someone can get mononucleosis and don’t even feel it, some have it in very complicated form.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #113 
ZackyBear

But there are a lot of people who don't have the kind of dedication that you do, Bettas_Rule :o

I agree with this and I don't. A lot of people say they are 'just fish' and treat them as decorations. Others say the opposite and give them all of their time and dedication. It really depends on the person whether or not a 1 gallon containter/tank is a home or a hell for a betta.

If only we had the same rule as the UK where anything under 2 gallons is illegal to sell since it is considered animal cruelty....

Wait, that IS the UK, right? O.o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #114 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's true that not everyone is as dedicated as others. To those people I would recommend going with a larger tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #115 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post
I see your point. But I think tackling one thing at a time would be better. I don't see how stores could heat the cups they sell the bettas in. They would have to get tanks for all the bettas they have and keep them heated. (Which would be nice, but I highly doubt they would. Space is money to them.)
All of my local shops heat their betta bowls when the ambient temperature is below around 76. They just sit the cups on a flat heating pad set to 80 something. It doesn't take extra space, so I can't see why all shops couldn't do it. Actually, now that I think about it, they probably turn them on at night during all seasons as the pads are always there.
I have even seen a really interesting set up with the cups sitting in two lines in a shallow tray - there was a heater in the tray water, and a filter sucked water from the tray and dripped it from two long bars into the mesh covered cups. The cups had holes around the edge maybe a cm from the top and water slowly drained out of them when the level rose. But this was a very nice shop with high quality betta on sale (US$20+) - anyway though, it can be done without sacrificing lots of shelf space.

I think that instead of small tanks being targetted, the lack of education about what is necessary for betta care should be targetted. It isn't the small tanks being sold that is the problem, it is shops and "common knowledge" pushing the idea that bettas don't need heat or a clean living space.

My pair are in larger tanks, but I also believe a one gallon (or even less - *gasp*) can be a good home for a betta. But it is a matter of care. A betta plunked in a rarely cleaned five gallon with no heater and fed random "fish flakes" is going to have a lot more trouble that a warm betta in a 0.5 gallon given lots of water changes and proper nutrition.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #116 
BettaFishLuver

Instead of signing a petition, like most people said, why don't we just educate and spread our knowledge of heaters, filters, ect to other people. One gallon bowls can be a nice cozy home for a betta. I disagree with the banning of the 1 gallon or under tanks, I personally think that is ridiculous. I moved my betta from a 1.8 gallon to a 10 gallon 3 weeks ago and honestly I don't see any difference, he is still the same happy betta. Focus on spreading the joys of having a happy and healthy betta. I guarantee if you ask 10 people off the street the question "Do betta fish need a heater?" 9 out of 10 would answer no. I don't think it's a lack of care but more of lack of knowledge. To people fish are just fish and they want to spend the least amount possible. Which is why pet stores lure people in by cheap set-ups. Not to be negative or anything but you are never going to stop fish from being put in disturbing small bowls but we can reduce that risk by giving good explanations and advice to other people.
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #117 
lexylex0526

I think that a 1 gallon is the bare minimum for a betta, if it has a small heater and water condtions are kept well. I think the REAL problem is the things that are smaller then that like as people have mentioned betta bubbles, 1/2 gallon tanks and those tiny betta cubes. I sincerely wish that pet stores wouldn't cell those torture chambers, maybe we could start a petition somehow. I think if you started an online petition and got enough signatures you could send the petition to pet stores in your area or maybe even the pet stores "main headquarters".
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #118 
dramaqueen
Banned

I really don't think coorporate offices would pay any attention to petitions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #119 
MrVampire181

It's all about money. Its a similar thing in the music industry, like Melbourne shufflers being mad at LMFAO for stealing their dance, LMFAO doesn't care since they're making money.

Same thing with bettas. Corporate doesn't care about bettas. All they care about is the money they bring in.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #120 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post

If only we had the same rule as the UK where anything under 2 gallons is illegal to sell since it is considered animal cruelty....

Wait, that IS the UK, right? O.o
The rule is anything under 1 gallon, which should be the case here. They are deemed inappropriate because of inadequate swimming space, inability to heat properly, and inability to provide properly maintained water conditions.

THAT is what I will propose a petition for--stricter regulations about enforcing animal cruelty in regards to fish. Under 1 gallon = inappropriate.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote