Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #121 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
But there are a lot of people who don't have the kind of dedication that you do, Bettas_Rule :o
If someone doesn't have the dedication to keep clean water for their fish, it wont matter how big the tank is. They will still be lazy about cleaning the water. My 10 gallon tanks are MUCH harder to keep up with than my jars. Bigger tanks don't mean healthier water or less work.

Quote:
If only we had the same rule as the UK where anything under 2 gallons is illegal to sell since it is considered animal cruelty....

Wait, that IS the UK, right? O.o
Thank god I live in America, the home of the free!
Free to be a responsible adult, that can be trusted to take care of my fish no matter how small the housing.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #122 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
I think the issue isn't about 1 gallons. I think it's about less than one gallons. I mean.. do any of us think these are okay??

And this last one is only 1 pint (0.125 gallons...)

These are the ones that should not be sold next to bettas. None of these can be heated safely. None of these are acceptable. These are the ones that should be targeted.

Couldn't the pet stores house their bettas in barracks inside their larger tanks? That way the filtration is already there. They'd get more space as well, because it would clear up shelving space for other products.

That's my two-cents.
How big is the last one?! I saw two of those in a second hand store, with goldfish food stupid thing it was. I would not even stick a plant in it literally it would be like me having a betta in a coffee cup looks silly and the fish can kiss their own tail end

Did you know? Most petitions fail because of lack of research. People don't want someone coming to knock on their door, ask "you have a betta?" then being told they are wrong and stupid no matter how it is put it will come to sound like that, even if it is not meant that way. People in this town, a lot of them realized I know what I am doing (most of the time xD) and they ask me, not some store associate. They'll upgrade, they get heaters, they make the trip to edmonton for something walmart and this store doesn't have... because I explain to them why their fish die, or why their fish are sick. I also take their sick fish and explain to them why they get better But I never say "because you're doing it wrong" I say "because stores tend to sell "goldfish and betta habitats" which are harder to clean, a heater takes up most of the space, and a heater could accidentally overheat and kill the fish." Then they are interested to why bettas need heaters, why goldfish need 30+ tanks usually (depending on the kind of goldie) etc. I had my Oscar in the 20 temporarily so I could get the 80 finished and I personally cannot imagine permanently housing a goldie in there x.x messy... even with double filtration exceeding the tank size

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #123 
Ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I never say "because you're doing it wrong" I say "because stores tend to sell "goldfish and betta habitats" which are harder to clean, a heater takes up most of the space, and a heater could accidentally overheat and kill the fish." Then they are interested to why bettas need heaters, why goldfish need 30+ tanks usually (depending on the kind of goldie) etc.
This. I find that most people really do want to do right by their little finned friends but haven't the first idea how to properly provide for a fish. A little friendly advice given in a nice tone works wonders. I've steered quite a few folks to one gallon or more tanks and away from 16oz betta jars. Now, some folk will not care no matter what you do, because to them fish are just something to dip in batter. The best you can do is encourage them to do more frequent water changes (or buy their betta from them )
Interestingly, I was checking out another forum where some poor soul was asking advice on getting a tank, as he wanted to get the proper fish and tanks size. He was berated by several folk for even considering keeping any fish in an aquarium under 20 gallons. Some posters even said five gallon tanks were only good for snails and shrimp. Just shows that aquarium size will continue to be a heated (yet necessary) discussion...

Last edited by Ramble; 05-01-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling...
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #124 
Sena Hansler

you mean yahooanswers? xDD I try to nudge them to this site because we are more accepting. I've even been stopped in the pet store by a customer (ummm I do not work there!) and asked about any fish... If I know, I'll tell them. If I don't, I direct them to the manager who knows. Or his wife.

I stand by saying, if you are willing to do MORE work for a SMALL tank, get one. If you'd rather LESS work for a LARGER tank, get one. I tell people about 5 gallons and up cycling, making it easier to clean and easier on the fish.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #125 
Ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post

I stand by saying, if you are willing to do MORE work for a SMALL tank, get one. If you'd rather LESS work for a LARGER tank, get one. I tell people about 5 gallons and up cycling, making it easier to clean and easier on the fish.
Yep. Cleaning my smaller tanks is actually a relaxing thing. It takes me out of the stress of the day and allows me to focus on making my boys happy. It's good for us both.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #126 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yep. Cleaning my smaller tanks is actually a relaxing thing. It takes me out of the stress of the day and allows me to focus on making my boys happy. It's good for us both.
I agree! Cleaning my jarred fish is very relaxing and allows me to sort out my thoughts and ideas, while simultaneously making me feel better that my fish are happy and healthy.

While I only have to clean my ten gallon tanks twice a week, I have to siphon out the waste and wipe all the glass, then clean the dividers and the filter. Then I have to fill a five gallon bucket treat it, and fill the tank back up. So yea I prefer to clean the smaller ones LOL.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #127 
Sena Hansler

really? I like my bigger ones haha... then again I'd rather put my mellow ones in smaller tanks because they don't panic when they are moved
Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #128 
BettaFishLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
The rule is anything under 1 gallon, which should be the case here. They are deemed inappropriate because of inadequate swimming space, inability to heat properly, and inability to provide properly maintained water conditions.

THAT is what I will propose a petition for--stricter regulations about enforcing animal cruelty in regards to fish. Under 1 gallon = inappropriate.
I have to disagree. Like someone mentioned earlier it doesn't matter if the person gets a 10 gallon tank, if they don't care for the tank it will be just as a betta hell as a 1 gallon. People have rights and it is not animal cruelty as long as you take care of it properly. People seem to have exaggerated the meaning of "animal cruelty." I don't mean to offend anyone but my meaning of animal cruelty is way different. I don't classify it as "abuse."

That's just my opinion
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #129 
Sena Hansler

Agreed. any of my 1 gallons (and anything under) would be cleaned accordingly to size. any of my small tanks without heaters are in the fish room which btw is at 78 degrees itself, being humid. I got away with it because it is a spare room xD Sure some of my bettas have 20 and 10 gallons, but the ones in smaller tanks are just as healthy :3

can I ask how you will enforce this? let's say, there are 2000 people who are fish lovers and will do anything to enforce a law for fish. Now that is per country/county, and there's 5000 let's say out of that place... You'll never win the approval of the 3000 people, who either do not own fish or don't care. Why do you think in Alberta here, any idiot saying they want to take away our health care gets beaten down and always loses If you cannot please the LARGE amount of people, you won't have much to go on.

Which is why I say start small... Start somewhere. Diving into something as serious and time consuming (and money consuming in some cases) as a petition, including the government in your cases, court, law, etc, you're bound to fall flat on your face, especially without anyone backing you up, or having more people angry than happy.

The market is for money, and as much as most people would love to get let's say....5 gallons... that is more expensive than a 1 gallon bowl. people aren't made of money. But they do have rights. And with those rights, and freedom of speech, and freedom to do what they please as long as it is according to the law, you cannot take away that freedom of ownership - fish, bowl, tank. doesn't matter. They'd sooner ban betta fish then ban bowls. Then your stuck with more people with goldies.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #130 
BETTACHKALOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFishLuver View Post
I have to disagree. Like someone mentioned earlier it doesn't matter if the person gets a 10 gallon tank, if they don't care for the tank it will be just as a betta hell as a 1 gallon. People have rights and it is not animal cruelty as long as you take care of it properly. People seem to have exaggerated the meaning of "animal cruelty." I don't mean to offend anyone but my meaning of animal cruelty is way different. I don't classify it as "abuse."

That's just my opinion
+1 also Sena you are right

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 05-02-2012 at 09:20 AM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote